Fire breaks out at historic City Palace
A fire broke out in the administrative block of the museum inside the City Palace on Sunday.jaipur Updated: Aug 24, 2014 21:40 IST
A fire broke out in the administrative block of the museum inside the City Palace on Sunday.
No one was injured in the incident.
According to the police, the fire broke out around 8.40am on the first floor of the administrative block of the new building on the premises of the City Palace.
“The fire damaged the office and some portion of the art gallery. Some items and paintings in the gallery have also been damaged,” deputy commissioner of police (north) Ashok Gupta said. Additional SP Sunil Vishnoi said some records and other material in the administrative office got burnt. Prima facie short circuit in the air conditioner seems to be the reason of the fire. Over 28 shops on the ground floor were unaffected by the fire.
Over a dozen fire tenders were pressed into action to douse it including a hydraulic lather machine. Sources claimed that safety mechanism at the museum was inappropriate and damage has occurred to archives and handicrafts products.
Museum administrator Colonel (retired) HS Jatrana said detailed assessment of the likely losses of administration related papers, records, IT equipment, museum laboratory, museum stores, equipment (housed in the same building) and to the building is being carried out.
“This is to clarify that the fire was not in the building where the Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum artifacts are displayed and there is no other damage to the existing galleries, art, textiles, armory and carpets etc which are on display,” he said. The museum continues to remain open on Sunday to the tourists and visitors, he added.
“The fire brigade authorities, police and the local administration were duly informed. The fire tenders reached the palace and controlled the fire. The cause of the fire is probably a short circuit,” he added. Member of Parliament Ramcharan Bohra too visited the spot. (With inputs from PTI)