Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2019-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘She wasn’t talking to me, did not eat’: Man spends three days with dead mother

Locals say the man who lived with his mother is mentally ill and may not have known that she had died.

kolkata Updated: Sep 10, 2017 11:31 IST
Koushik Dutta
Koushik Dutta
Hindustan Times, Midnapore
Mentall illness,Durgapur police,Decomposed body
A 35-year-old man live with the body of his mother for three days, seemingly unaware that she had died.(Representative photo (shutterstock))

In a rerun of the Robinson Street skeleton case of Kolkata, a 35-year-old man spent three days with the lifeless body of his mother in Durgapur town in West Bengal.

The matter came to light only after local people in Rabindrapally locality complained of foul smell coming from the tiny apartment and informed the police. The body of Sananda Nandi (72) was recovered on Friday night. Police said she died at least three days ago.

Indradeep Nandi (35), the younger son of the deceased, did not inform anyone that his mother had died although his elder brother Indraneel (40) lives in the same neighbourhood. He told the police that his mother was not talking to him for a few days and wasn’t eating anything either. He said he used to sleep on the same bed where the body was found.

“I cooked some rice and dal and offered her but she did not eat. She was not talking to me,” police quoted Indradeep as saying.

Police spent much of Saturday questioning Indradeep. They are yet to decide whether to send him for a psychiatric evaluation. Police also sent the body for post mortem.

Local people told the police that Indradeep is mentally ill. His sister-in-law, Mukta Nandi, however, claimed that he was suffering from neurological disorder for a long time and she was unable to understand why he did not inform anyone about the death.

Indraneel Nandi said he met his mother last Sunday and she was quite well at that time.

“My brother did not tell me anything. When I inquired about my mother he said she had not spoken to him for a few days,” said Indraneel.

The incident has an eerie similarity to the Robinson Street episode when the Kolkata police recovered Sananda Nandi’s body.

In June 2015, Partha De (then 44) was found living in his ancestral mansion in the posh south Kolkata neighbourhood with the skeleton of his dead sister and the remains of two pet dogs. Police went to the house on June 11 when local people detected smoke coming out of a window. Police recovered the charred body of Partha’s father Aurobindo De (71) who had apparently committed suicide. Investigation revealed that Partha and his father were living with the skeletons for more than six months.

The two incidents have some similarities although the Nandis of Durgapur lived in poverty. Indradeep and his mother used to live in the small rented apartment but kept the doors and windows closed most of the time, local people said. Partha De, too, rarely left home and used to keep all the windows closed.

When local people detected the source of the odour and went to Indradeep’s room they found him sitting beside Sananda Nandi’s partially decomposed body.

First Published: Sep 09, 2017 20:24 IST