Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 17, 2018-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Robinson Street rerun: Mentally unstable man spends 6 days with mother’s body in Bengal

The incident brought back memories of the bizzare Robinson Street incident that took place in south Kolkata in 2015.

kolkata Updated: Nov 01, 2017 23:27 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Kolkata
Paikpara,Kolkata,MIG Complex
Anirban Basu was found in the second room of the house when the police broke in.(HT Photo)

Anirban Basu, a mentally unstable man in his forties, was living with the decomposing body of his mother for six days inside a tiny apartment, residents of a government housing complex at Paikpara, in the northern outskirts of Kolkata, discovered on Tuesday night.

Inhabitants of the middle-income group (MIG) complex informed the police when the stench became unbearable. For Anirban Basu, however, the ordeal did not end.

Police took away the body of Meera Basu but could not trace any member or friend of the family who could take care of her son. So, the policemen locked him inside the ground floor apartment and left. He was taken to a hospital for mental patients on Wednesday afternoon after local media raised the issue.

The incident brought back memories of the bizzare Robinson Street incident that took place in the posh Theatre Road area of south Kolkata in 2015. A 46- year-old software engineer, Partha De, spent months with the decomposed bodies of his elder sister and two pet dogs. Police discovered and skeletons the day De’s father, who lived in the same apartment, burnt to death inside the house. The incident was reported even by the international media.

Partha De, who appeared to be mentally unstable, was taken to a hospital. Incidentally, he, too, died a few months ago under mysterious circumstances inside an apartment in the port area where he was staying ever since his release.

Incidentally, unlike the affluent De family, the Basus lived in utter poverty, said residents of the Paikpara complex. Even power connection to their apartment was disconnected four years ago as they could not pay the bills. Local people said they never saw anyone visiting the family. Residents of the housing complex however claimed that Anirban Basu attended reputable schools and colleges but was diagnosed with mental disorder before he could get a job.

The pungent smell from Meera Basu’s decomposing body got stronger since Monday and became unbearable on Tuesday evening, said the residents.

Police broke the door open and recovered the body. Anirban Basu was found in the second room. He was irritated and said he hadn’t had any food or water for more than a day. The police however could not trace anyone related to the family and left after locking Anirban Basu inside.

Basu started shouting on Wednesday morning and neighbours gave him food and water through a window. The local police returned after television channels started airing footage from the spot.

Basu was finally taken to a mental hospital on Wednesday afternoon. Police officers said they are trying to trace his relatives.

First Published: Nov 01, 2017 23:27 IST