A love letter to British youth
Over the last five decades, Pope Paul Smith has established a cathedral of chic dressing his legions of style savants - from Prime Ministers to Rock royalty. The likes of David Bowie, David Hockney and Jimmy Page among others have often warmed up to the individualistic exuberance of his designs. Reinventing his metier season after season, he’s stayed true to his core belief in dandyism and the transformative power of prints and tailoring techniques. The designer who wears suits day in and day out was provided with a unique moment of reflection last year with his landmark 50th anniversary celebrations followed by the imposed introspection of lockdown.
Hence 2021 was all about hitting the reset button and remixing his cult classics. This vibrant outing had a strong nod to the swinging ‘70s with a push on tartan tailoring and tinted eyewear. Delicious tone on tone layering took precedence as he sent out snuggle-worthy wool coats and sheepskins. The highpoint was an of-the-moment reinterpretation of the donkey jacket in cheery orange reminiscent of the 1980s new wave romanticism. Striking a fine balance between street punk and stiff upper lip preppy were the mohair knits and subtle stripes. An array of comfy silk pajamas reflected the all-pervading WFH mood. Florals, a leitmotif in his oeuvre, was played out on intarsia knits, ties and a navy suit.
It was definitely a trip down the memory lane where he’s seen it all - from the mods to the new romantics.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Leaving fans hooked with her saree chronicles, Janhvi Kapoor serves another sensuous look from Manish Malhotra’s collection in an ivory-coloured six yards of elegance as she promotes her upcoming film ‘Roohi’ on Day 4
- Vidya Balan recently dolled up for an e-interview and we love everything about retro-chic vibe. From her dove grey asymmetric kurta to smart narrow pants, we can’t wait to recreate the delightful silhouette as we walk into spring-summer
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.
- Janhvi Kapoor recently stepped out in an ethereal flowy dress for a promotional event of her upcoming film Roohi. The dress that is worth ₹22k is one of our favourite looks donned by the actor.
- For a recent shoot, Kiara Advani wore a beautiful bralette and skirt co-ord set. The Kabir Singh actor made it clear that summer is here in her matching attire and we love it.
- Erica Fernandes has been serving one steamy look after another during her stay at the Maldives, be it in a powder blue bodysuit or acid wash bustier-skirt and fashionistas can’t help but take notes to slay at the next beach vacation