Priyanka Chopra Jonas(Instagram)
Priyanka Chopra Jonas(Instagram)

'Unfinished' allowed me to forgive myself for always running: Priyanka Chopra

A former Miss World, an actor and a producer who made a mark in Bollywood and also across the seas in TV shows and films, Priyanka Chopra Jonas has always been a high achiever and is already the subject of three biographies.
PTI, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 18, 2021 05:27 PM IST

Actor-producer Priyanka Chopra Jonas says her memoir “Unfinished” is not about her laurels but a “sort of dissection” of her failures, sadness and struggles, a way of letting go of her insecurities and forgiving herself for always chasing the next goal.

A former Miss World, an actor and a producer who made a mark in Bollywood and also across the seas in TV shows and films, Chopra Jonas has always been a high achiever and is already the subject of three biographies.

But “Unfinished”, which charts her early days, family life and a two-decade career in the entertainment business, happened because she wanted to commemorate the journey herself, Chopra Jonas told PTI.

"I am at a place in my life where I can look back and introspect and I thought it was as good a time as any to pen down this journey I’ve been on. It allowed me to sort of forgive myself for always running and it gave me the ability to forgive my own insecurities that I had when I was younger. The process of writing the book was very healing for me," the 38-year-old actor said in the email interview.

The writer in her was always there, she said, but she was afraid of the structured writing that comes with penning a book.

"I really wanted this book to not be about my achievements and laurels. Because I started writing it at a time when I was home and I had the ground beneath my feet, I sort of treated it like a journal.

“A lot of introspection happened very organically—a sort of dissection of my failures, my sadness, and the times in my life where I have struggled. I don’t know how it became that book, but I think that’s the book I internally wanted to write," she said.

The Jamshedpur-born star, who made a name for herself in India with movies such as "Fashion", "Kaminey" and "Bajirao Mastani", is now married to American pop singer Nick Jonas. She is one of the few to have embarked on a successful career in the West with the TV show “Quantico” as well as films, including “Baywatch” and “Isn’t It Romantic”.

Chopra Jonas described her memoir as a sort of "in-between interviews" version of her life -- the public version versus her real story.

"It is a vulnerable version of me that only I can explain. A curtain’s down look at my life in my words."

Chopra Jonas said she was honest about things that mattered to her and her journey at the moment while writing the book.

"But there are things that I have never spoken about, and there are things that probably I will never speak about—many of them were tumultuous. Things that I hadn’t dealt with emotionally over time; things that I had forgotten which I remembered, especially my early career. I can’t say one specific thing, but I know there will be multiple times like I have really delved into things that I probably didn’t even deal with myself."

Born to Ashok and Madhu Chopra, physicians in the Indian Army, her brother Sidharth and she spent their growing up years in towns across the country, including Delhi, Bareilly and Pune.

Chopra Jonas spent her teenage years in the US, living with extended family, an experience she also details in the book that is published by Penguin Random House and was launched on February 9.

The star, who most recently executive produced and starred in Ramin Bahrani's "The White Tiger", has written in detail about her early life, her win at the Miss World 2000 pageant, and how she almost did not have a career due to a botched surgery to remove a polyp from her nasal cavity in 2001.

The actor went through several corrective surgeries but the change in her appearance cost her two films in the beginning of her career.

She has also spoken at length about her struggle to cope with grief after her father's death from cancer at the age of 62 in 2013 and the challenges in dealing with "big boys club" in Hindi cinema. In one case, she lost projects because the hero wanted his girlfriend to star opposite him.

Chopra Jonas said she didn't start writing the book properly till the quarantine last year in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Being home for six months gave her the time to scratch beneath the surface, she said.

She also runs a production house, Purple Pebbles Pictures, which has backed the National Award-winning Marathi films "Ventilator" and "Paani".

As a global star, the dream is to "create a cross-pollination of storytelling" by collaborating with talents from across the world and infusing Hollywood with South Asian talent.

Her hope, Chopra Jonas said, is to constantly push herself to explore new ideas that not only entertain but most importantly, open minds and perspectives.

"My greatest joy with Purple Pebble Pictures is being able to create movies and TV shows with an all South-Asian cast in Hollywood. We haven’t seen that very often. My quest really is to be able to tell female stories, work with creators from around the world and create a cross-pollination of storytelling," said the actor, who became the first South Asian to headline an American show with "Quantico".

As far as challenges are concerned, Chopra Jonas said she looked at them as "things to overcome" rather than difficult situations holding her back.

"I was trying something new in what I was presenting and wanting for myself, so the path was destined to be difficult, but I kept taking it one step at a time and so far, I'm happy with how it turned out," she added.

She will next be seen in the rom-com "Text For You", the sci-fi feature "The Matrix 4", the Amazon thriller series "Citadel", produced by Russo Brothers, and "Sangeet", an unscripted series co-produced with her husband.

Chopra Jonas will also produce a film with Amazon Studios on the life of Ma Anand Sheela, the former aide to late godman Osho Rajneesh.

This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.
The pawri meme is slowly finding its way to many pawri invites amid the capital.

Pawri Dilli me ho rai hai: Viral meme reference makes it to wedding invites!

By Aprajita Sharad, New Delhi
UPDATED ON FEB 25, 2021 01:43 PM IST
Youngsters in Delhi are choosing to use viral memes and pandemic references to create informal wedding invites.
Representational Image(Unsplash)
Representational Image(Unsplash)

With LGBT members trapped home, homophobia soared in Israel amid Covid lockdowns

Reuters, London
UPDATED ON FEB 24, 2021 02:02 PM IST
Hatred ruins the lives of thousands of LGBTQs who are asking to live their life with dignity and safety.
Pandemic reinforces gender inequality, women have just 76% of men’s legal rights(Twitter/G3nderE)

Bloomberg
UPDATED ON FEB 24, 2021 09:13 AM IST
In its annual report, the World Bank warns of Covid-19 pandemic reinforcing gender inequality in many countries, with women on average having just 76% of men’s legal rights in their economic opportunities like travel, disadvantages in parenting and retirement
Abhinav Shukla and Rubina Dilaik(Instagram)
Abhinav Shukla and Rubina Dilaik(Instagram)

Post Bigg Boss, winner Rubina Dilaik and Abhinav Shukla to renew marriage vows

PTI, Mumbai
PUBLISHED ON FEB 23, 2021 05:16 PM IST
Rubina Dilaik admitted that she and husband Abhinav Shukla were having marital problems, but doing the reality show helped them, saying, "We are going to renew our marriage vows."
Be cautious when entering into a relationship
Be cautious when entering into a relationship

Be cautious when entering into a relationship

By Swati Chaturvedi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 10:48 PM IST
When we go out to meet a partner for a date, the eternal question that goes on in our mind is whether he is into us or not? Age old wisdom believes that one’s behavior is the telltale sign of someone’s true nature and words are fleeting. Actions always speak louder than words.
Here's what Kourtney Kardashian's love note to boyfriend Travis Barker reads(Twitter/Complex)

Here's what Kourtney Kardashian's love note to boyfriend Travis Barker reads

ANI
UPDATED ON FEB 21, 2021 07:25 PM IST
Less than a week after making their romance official on Instagram, American musician Travis Barker shares a love note he received from girlfriend and reality star Kourtney Kardashian
Arjun Kapoor shares heartwarming takeaways on grieving the loss of a loved one(Instagram/arjunkapoor)

Arjun Kapoor shares heartwarming takeaways on grieving the loss of a loved one

By Zarafshan Shiraz
UPDATED ON FEB 21, 2021 02:09 PM IST
  • Even after 10 years of losing his mother Mona Shourie Kapoor, Bollywood actor Arjun Kapoor continues to grieve her death like a fresh wound and recently shared a relatable post by a fan page that offers a heartwarming truth of grieving a loved one irrespective of the time. Read on
According to the People magazine, the 'Graveyard' singer, who is expecting her first child with boyfriend Alev Aydin, took to her Instagram handle and posted several snapshots which included a sunny bikini baby bump picture.(Instagram )

Halsey reveals pregnancy has entirely leveled her gender perception

ANI, Washington [us]
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 01:35 PM IST
American singer and songwriter, Halsey, who is currently expecting her first child, recently got candid and revealed how pregnancy makes her feel.
Chrissy Teigen remembers son on what would have been his due date(Instagram/chrissyteigen)

Chrissy Teigen honours son on what would have been his due date: Thinking of you

By Nishtha Grover, Delhi
UPDATED ON FEB 21, 2021 01:28 PM IST
  • Chrissy Teigen is remembering her son Jack on what would have been his due date. The model, in October 2020, had shared that she lost her third child due to complications in pregnancy and had posted heartbreaking images on social media.
Actor Dia Mirza, who got married to businessman Vaibhav Rekhi on February 15, thanked the woman priest Sheela Atta for officiating her wedding, on social media.

Weddings encourage equality, break stereotypes: Female priest, no kanyadan

By Naina Arora, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 11:47 AM IST
Bollywood actor Dia Mirza’s recent wedding has brought back the focus on the brave, bold and unconventional move to get marriages officiated by female priests.
Princess Eugenie reveals newborn son's name(Instagram/ princesseugenie)
Princess Eugenie reveals newborn son's name(Instagram/ princesseugenie)

Princess Eugenie shares newborn son's name, pays loving tribute to Prince Philip

By Nishtha Grover, Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 10:08 AM IST
  • Princess Eugenie welcomed her first child with husband Jack Brooksbank on February 9 and she recently revealed that she has named her baby, August Philip Hawke Brooksbank. The name is an ode to her grandfather Prince Philip, who is admitted in a hospital at the moment.
Kim Kardashian files for a divorce(Instagram/kimkardashian)
Kim Kardashian files for a divorce(Instagram/kimkardashian)

Kim and Kanye will have a smooth and amicable divorce, says initial report

AP, Los Angeles
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 07:53 AM IST
  • The two mega stars, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have a prenuptial agreement in place, that is why, Southern California's celebrity divorce attorney Daniel Jaffe feels, "there won’t be any major property issues."
Chris Evans sews pet dog’s stuff toy to surprise it after surgery, wins hearts(Instagram/chrisevans)

Chris Evans sews pet dog’s stuff toy to surprise it after surgery, wins hearts

By Zarafshan Shiraz
UPDATED ON FEB 20, 2021 12:08 PM IST
  • Chris Evans surprises his pet dog, Dodger, after its hip replacement surgery by sewing up a nasty tear in its favourite stuffed toy lion and we can’t help but give the Captain America star a ‘Dog Parent of the Year’ trophy already
Kardashian files to divorce West(Instagram/kimkardashian)
Kardashian files to divorce West(Instagram/kimkardashian)

Kim Kardashian files for divorce from Kanye West after 6 years of marriage

AP, Los Angeles
UPDATED ON FEB 20, 2021 07:54 AM IST
  • Kim Kardashian, the famous reality TV star and beauty mogul, filed for divorce from her husband of six and a half years, Kanye West. Kardashian is now seeking joint custody of their four children.
 (Shutterstock)
(Shutterstock)

Playing by the numbers: Life Hacks by Charles Assisi

By Charles Assisi
UPDATED ON FEB 21, 2021 07:12 AM IST
Navigating the 40s isn’t easy, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot to celebrate. By this age, one is kinder, wiser, living and loving better.