Samajwadi Party candidate booked for violating poll code
Sahab Singh, the Samajwadi Party candidate from Uttar Pradesh's Baghpat Lok Sabha seat, has been booked for violating the model code of conduct after he allegedly addressed a late night rally, police said on Tuesday.
"A case has been registered against Sahab Singh for defying the model code of conduct during the polls," police inspector Suraj Singh told IANS over phone.
As per the election code of conduct, public meetings cannot take place after 10 p.m. However, Sahab Singh continued to address the rally at Baghpat, over 300 km from here, till 11.45 p.m. April 25, during which folk artistes from Haryana performed, the official said.
After seeing the video recording of the public meeting, the district administration on Monday night directed the police to register a case against Sahab Singh, he added.
"We will soon apprise the state Election Commission about the violation of the poll conduct, so that further action can be taken against the candidate," the official said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The order to lift the ban was issued after chief minister Yogi Adityanath approved a proposal to this effect on Monday, sources said.
- All joined at a membership event held in the presence of SP chief Akhilesh Yadav at the party headquarters.
- The 41-year-old doctor expressed complete faith in Covishield vaccine and said that all results have shown it to be an effective protection against the coronavirus and safe.
- All 15 police personnel were suspended for remaining absent from their duty points.
- A senior BJP leader said the party has some big plans for AK Sharma.
- After the legislative council election, the UP Cabinet is likely to be expanded before the crucial 2022 Assembly election, said a BJP leader.
- The girl came to Lucknow from Nepal in search of a job two years ago before she was misled and trapped by the main accused who worked as a security guard.
- The quick acceptance of his application for voluntary retirement has started a buzz in the BJP circles that Sharma may be sent to the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.
- While currently nine domestic flights operate from Gorakhpur to all major cities of the country, an international flight from the newly-constructed Kushinagar airport will also commence soon, said the CM