Food trends 2017: Chicken biryani is most ordered dish across Indian cities
A report by Swiggy reveals that Indians prefer devouring masala dosa for breakfast, biryani for meals and samosas for snacks. Read on to know about the city-wise preferences of food dishes.more lifestyle Updated: Dec 22, 2017 11:02 IST
India’s love for good food is well-known. But what are some of the most-preferred dishes across the nation? An order analysis by food delivery service Swiggy gives us an insight into what Indians have feasted on in 2017. The report covers major cities like Bengaluru, Mumbai, Delhi-NCR, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Chennai and Pune. It includes various meal categories like late-night ordering, snacking, desserts, healthy food, and international cuisine.
The much-loved chicken biryani tops the list of most-ordered food of the year. It’s followed by the southern staple of masala dosa, and butter naan, tandoori roti and paneer butter masala, respectively.
While it’s a global favourite, pizza did not make it to the top-5 list. However, it ranks first among the ‘most searched for’ dishes. On Swiggy, people searched for it for over 5 lakh times. Others on the list include burger, chicken, cake and momos.
Meal by meal
● Breakfast: Masala dosa, idli and vada rule breakfast menus for most Indians.
● Lunch and dinner: Most people went for biryanis (chicken, mutton and vegetarian), followed by paneer butter masala and masala dosa, dal makhani and chicken fried rice.
● Snacks: In 2017, Indians loved munching the most on pav bhaji, French fries, samosas, chicken rolls, chicken burger and bhel puri.
● Late night: The top late-night orders included comfort foods such as chicken biryani, French fries, butter chicken and desserts like death by chocolate (chocolate sundae) and Nutella Brownie.
● The Mumbai foodie: Mumbaikars stayed loyal to the city dish, pav bhaji, even as most other cities went for chicken biryani.
● The Delhi foodie: Dal Makhani and Naan ruled here. It’s clear that people prefer bingeing on local cuisine. Interestingly, New Delhi also saw the maximum amount of pasta being ordered vis-à-vis other cities.
● The Hyderabad foodie: Unsurprisingly, the city chose biryani when hunger pangs struck. Moreover, biryani orders especially saw an increase in the months of June and October, possibly owing to the festivals of Eid and Diwali.
● The Bengaluru foodie: Most Bengaluru foodies prefer South-Indian basics for breakfast and chicken biryani for meals. Interestingly, Mumbai’s ever-famous vada pav is amongst the top five most ordered snack items in Bengaluru.
● The Kolkata foodie: Most folks from the City of Joy preferred to order biryanis and fried rice for their meals and kachoris for breakfast and snacks.
● The Chennai foodie: Pongal and biryanis sum up the meals for most Chennaites.
● The Pune foodie: Pune is the city that prefers dal khichdi, over biryani for lunch. They also like to order shakes such as mango, strawberry and chocolate.
Post a satisfying meal, a dessert is a must-have for many to complete the gastronomic experience. On Swiggy, mithais like gulab jamun, double ka meetha and rasmalai were ordered on a regular basis. When it comes to ice-creams, death by chocolate, tender coconut ice cream, and brownie fudge sundae were some of the top picks.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more