Want to set up a bar at home? Here are all the tips, tricks, and the must-haves
Must-have bar accessories, liquor inventory and extras: we’ve got you covered.more lifestyle Updated: Jul 26, 2017 08:56 IST
Contemplating a get-together at home instead of stepping out in the muck? Or just want to have a lazy evening in with your loved ones. Setting up a stylish and well-stocked bar at home is the first step towards having a laid-back night in.
We ask two experts for tips and hacks on décor and bar must-haves:
1) If you don’t have a dedicated spot for a bar at home, even a shelf with glass doors will do. Paint it in light colours (white, peach) so that it stands out. If you’re building a space, then keep the bar design simple – just a cabinet with a folding top that can turn into a table is good enough.
2) Always place large bottles in the centre and smaller bottles on either side. Showcase your best inventory (well-known, expensive brands) so that you can brag about your collection at your next boys’ night in.
3) Make sure there is a light embedded on top of the shelf. This will give your cabinet a classy look.
4) If you’re setting up the bar for a party, put a table (up to the barmen’s chest) and cover it with a cloth. Get high stools for people to sit on and enjoy a drink at the bar.
5) You can decorate the bar with old, used beer bottles, vintage alcohol bottles and accessories.
6) Keep the bar close to the kitchen sink so that glasses and shakers can be cleaned easily.
7) Bar essentials are a must: bottle opener, wine opener, cocktail shaker, small knife/peeler, a bar spoon and a peg measure. Stock up on appropriate glassware: old fashioned/rock glass, tall/Collins glass, beer mugs, Pilsner glass, wine glass (white and red) and a Champagne flute.
8) Ice: make arrangements to store lots of ice.
9) Start with basic liquor inventory such as premium Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, Gin, Tequila.
10) Also store ingredients such as can of olives, bottles of bitters, sugar powder, ready-to-use lime juice, fruit juices for cocktails.
-Inputs from Binny Dhadwal, founder of Drinkq Barmen Academy and Gaurish Rangnekar, owner and founder, Barmobile, a premium bartending service.
First Published: Jul 26, 2017 08:55 IST