New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Aug 18, 2019-Sunday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019

Bizman brings man he ‘killed’ to Mumbai court, will get ₹6 lakh from Maharashtra government

The Bombay HC on Wednesday asked the Maharashtra government to Rs6 lakh to a Ludhiana businessman who had to face the ordeal of prosecution for a murder for two decades

mumbai Updated: Aug 11, 2017 09:23 IST
Kanchan Chaudhari
Kanchan Chaudhari
Hindustan Times

A Ludhiana businessman had to face the ordeal of prosecution for a murder for two decades — until he brought his “victim” before the trial court.

Now, the Bombay high court has asked the Maharashtra government to give him Rs6 lakh.

On March 14, 1996, the body of a man was found near the Ismail Yusuf College at Jogeshwari. While the man’s head was badly crushed by boulder, at least eight witnesses identified him as Guddu, 21, who was living in the area with a married woman.

One of the witnesses told the police three people had come from Ludhiana in search of the woman and that they might have killed Guddu.

With this information, the Jogeshwari police went to Ludhiana and on May 24, 1996, arrested Jawaharlal Sharma, a small-scale industrialist. On July 4, 1996 he was granted bail.

Ever since, Sharma worked hard to trace Guddu. He made several trips to Guddu’s native place in Uttar Pradesh. During the first visit, he was surprised to see Guddu’s mother completely unaffected by the news. She said she knew he was alive.

A bench of Justice Ranjit More and Justice Sarang Kotwal was irked to note the investigation officers of the case, one after the other, showed a complete apathy to probe the case properly even though in July 1996 itself they were told by witnesses from Guddu’s village that he was alive.

“We find the investigating officers have shown utter disregard to the cause of justice,” said the bench, adding that despite being made aware that Guddu was alive, the officers did not make any effort to trace him.

“Instead, they charge-sheeted Sharma and proceeded with his prosecution knowing fully well the person for whose murder Sharma had been charged was very much alive”.

Later, Sharma applied to the trial court seeking an issuance of summons to Guddu.

He travelled to Guddu’s village to serve the summons. Sharma’s ordeal came to an end in November 2011 after the Uttar Pradesh police produced Guddu before the trial court.

First Published: Aug 11, 2017 09:22 IST

more from mumbai