Dombivli brothers recall terror of kidnapping in Malaysia
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2019-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Dombivli brothers recall terror of kidnapping in Malaysia

The kidnappers spoke Tamil and English while communicating with them and threatening them

mumbai Updated: Aug 12, 2018 00:03 IST
Sajana Nambiar
Sajana Nambiar
Hindustan Times
Two brothers Rohan and Kaustubh Vaidya were kidnapped in Malaysia. (HT Photo)

Ten days after they were abducted in Malaysia while on a business trip, brothers Rohan and Kaustubh Vaidya have vivid memories of their time being kept captive. They revealed that they were blindfolded, beaten up and provided food only thrice in six days while being kept in a dark room.

They revealed the kidnappers spoke Tamil and English while communicating with them and threatening them by uttering: “We will shoot you”.

The brothers, who reached Dombivli on Friday evening, were ill and were suffering psychological trauma. They have assault marks on their hands.

The duo chose to speak about their ordeal on Saturday, revealing that they were trapped by a client who called them for a dinner around 8.30pm on August 2 through a Whatsapp message. The company had only previously messaged them on July 31, prior to leaving for the business trip.

“After reaching Malaysia we had a meeting with one client in the afternoon. After that we returned to our room. We then received a message from another client named Lak-kins Marine inviting us for dinner at 8.30pm, “said Rohan Vaidya, 36, the elder brother who runs an agency named Rocks Frozen Foods, which helps supply frozen fish to foreign countries since the past three years.

“The company sent a car with a driver. We sat inside the car and after around a 45-minute ride we entered a jungle and it was dark everywhere. Another car stopped in front of ours and six people came out and blindfolded us before they started assaulting us,” added Rohan.

The brothers were later taken to a dark room and kept blindfolded for six days. They were asked to make calls to their family and demand ₹1 crore as ransom.

The brothers revealed that the kidnappers called them by name while asking to make a call.

“We were not able to see them as we were blindfolded all the time. Our hands and legs were also tied up. They spoke Tamil most of the time and to us they spoke in English, “said Kaustubh, 31, who visited Malaysia for the first time.

The brothers often ended up connecting to clients through social messaging groups. They also made sure to check the profile of the company before meeting them.

On August 6, both were released by the abductors. “They might have realised that our family had approached the police. Since they did not receive any money they decided to leave us by the side of the road, “ said Rohan.

“We managed to get a taxi and reach the hotel after which we were taken to the police station for an inquiry there,” said Rohan. “After all this experience we have learned that we should cross check everything about a client before agreeing to a meeting with them.”

The two reached Mumbai at 1.30pm on Friday, following which a team from the Thane crime branch and officers from Ramnagar police escorted them to their residence in Dombivli near Shivam Hospital.

The family had reported the abduction to the foreign ministry and police since they received a call from the brothers on August 2. “The police have not arrived for any investigation so far, considering their health condition,” said Rajeev Vaidya, the brothers’ uncle.

First Published: Aug 12, 2018 00:01 IST