Lack of ICUs in Palghar government hospitals kills 11-year-old girl bitten by snakemumbai Updated: Sep 19, 2017 16:40 IST
Picture for representation
An 11-year-old tribal girl died after she was bitten by a venomous snake in Chahade village, Palghar on Monday. Her father took her to two government hospitals, where he was told to get her admitted her in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a private hospital in Palghar. However, before he could take her to a private hospital, the girl died on the way.
The lack of ICUs in government hospitals in rural areas is still a major issue.
The girl, Asmita Jadhav, was bitten by a venomous snake near her ankle while she was playing near her uncle’s house. Her uncle, Sitaram Jadhav contacted Ajay Patil, the sarpanch of Chahade village and they rushed Asmita to the Maswan Primary Health Centre (PHC), where the doctor on duty injected a does of an antidote.
But her condition was serious as the poison had entered her blood stream, and the doctor advised them to admit Asmita in an ICU. “We then rushed her to the Rural Hospital, Palghar, 19km from away from my house, but the doctor said as there is no ICU in the hospital. He told us to admit her in a private hospital in Palghar,” said Sitaram. “So we took the semi-conscious Asmita to the Philia Hospital, in Palghar which had an ICU, but by that time, the doctors pronounced her dead,” said Sitaram.
“Had there been an ICU in the RH, at Palghar my daughter could have been saved,” said Gangaram, father of the victim. “What is the use of spending crores in useless schemes, when there is no ICU in the government hospital to save lives? The government is to be blamed for my daughter’s death,” said Sitaram.
When contacted, Dr Kanchan Vanare, civil surgeon, Palghar, refused to comment on the absence of an ICU in the Rural Hospital at Palghar.
First Published: Sep 19, 2017 16:40 IST