Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 14, 2018-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai driver stabs estranged wife 4 times, slits her throat on footpath, arrested

Mumbai city news: The woman has been stabbed in the neck with a knife, said police sources

mumbai Updated: Jul 18, 2017 14:49 IST
Megha Sood
Megha Sood
Hindustan Times
Mumbai city news,Mumbai murder,Mumbai crime
The building where the murder took place.(Shashi Kashyap)

A man allegedly slit his wife’s throat on a road in Andheri early on Monday morning. According to the police, Neha Bhalsingh, 25, had left her husband Sachin, 29, and moved back in with her parents a week ago. He has been arrested by the Versova police.

The police said it was dark and raining when the murder took place around 6.30am. She was found dead on a footpath near Gyan Kendra School soon after. Sachin works with a private firm as a driver who picks up and drops off school children. Neha worked in the same company as an attendant. The couple had been married five years and has a two-year-old son.

The police said on Monday morning Neha went to the school and entered the vehicle assigned to her to pick up the children. When the driver she would be travelling with returned after drinking a cup of tea he found the vehicle empty. He telephoned the company’s owner and reported that Neha was missing. The owner asked him to look around as she wasn’t answering her phone. The driver looked around and soon found Neha’s body on a footpath nearby. She had stab wounds and her throat had been slit.

This is how the killing took place, according to the Versova police

At 6.30am on Monday, Neha Bhalsingh was alone in a van assigned to pick up schoolkids from their homes. As the driver went to a tea stall nearby, Neha’s husband Sachin, who was hiding near the school, entered the van

He stabbed her once before she managed to get out of the van and run

Sachin grabbed her at the footpath, stabbed her thrice and slit her throat before fleeing

The driver telephoned the police control room. The Amboli and Versova police reached the spot and took Neha to Cooper Hospital, where she was declared dead. The police then telephoned Neha’s parents and Sachin. However, his phone was switched off, which made him the prime suspect, police said. The police soon learnt that Neha had left Sachin a week ago and moved back in with her parents at Lower Parel as he used to get drunk and beat her up. They said the couple fought daily.

Arun Chavan, assistant commissioner of police (Versova region) said Neha’s parents told them that the couple had fought the previous night and that Sachin was responsible for the murder. The police began to track Sachin’s phone and found he was in Pune.

A police team left for Pune and arrested him 10 hours after the murder. The officers who arrested Sachin said he told them he was angry with Neha as she was not willing to return to him.

“Sachin knew his wife’s timings and was waiting for her near the school,” said a police officer, who did not wish to be named.

The officer said Sachin told them when he saw the driver of the van at the tea stall he approached Neha, who was sitting inside the vehicle. He stabbed her but she managed to open the door of the van and run. He grabbed at the footpath, stabbed her three more times and slit her throat before fleeing, they said.

Read more: Mumbai man stabs childhood friend after her parents reject his marriage proposal

First Published: Jul 17, 2017 13:26 IST