Avoid self-medication at all costs when you have dengue: doctors
Doctors said most people, when expereincing dengue symtoms, tend to self-medicate for a few days, which can cost them dear.mumbai Updated: Nov 17, 2014 21:08 IST
Last month, KEM hospital’s resident doctor Shruti Khobragade, 23, died of dengue infection at PD Hinduja Hospital, Mahim. Days after her death, KEM hospital dean Dr Shubhangi Parkar said Khobragade had sought discharge from the hospital within three days of admission.
“She took discharge against medical advice, claiming she was feeling better. However, her symptoms aggravated later and she got re-admitted,” said Dr Parkar.
Doctors said most people tend to self-medicate for a few days, which can cost them dear. In most cases, owing to drop in platelets, the blood vessels start leaking, which leads to bleeding in other body parts as well. Self-medication during such times should be avoided at all costs, said doctors.
“The patient’s condition deteriorates within a few days of catching the virus. They develop complications such as respiratory failure and liver damage because of dengue,” said Dr Pratit Samdani, physician, Bhatia Hospital, Tardeo.
The most severe form of the infection is dengue shock syndrome and dengue haemorrhagic fever, which can lead to higher morbidity and mortality, said doctors. At present, a 25-year-old woman pregnant with twins is battling for life at Noor Hospital, Byculla.
The woman has tested positive for dengue infection and is on oxygen support. “For the family, it’s an important pregnancy, as they were unable to conceive. Now, the lives of all three are in danger,” said Dr Mohammad Khalid from the hospital.
Despite the severity of symptoms among dengue patients, experts maintained that there is no mutation in the virus, as it is being rumoured.
“In Mumbai, we have found that DEN-2 (a type of dengue virus) is in circulation. Every year, a new type of dengue virus circulates in different parts of the country. DEN-2 is the most virulent of the lot and hence, many patients in Mumbai are developing severe complications,” said Dr AC Dhariwal, director, National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme.