CBI objects to gangster Abu Salem’s marriage plan
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Saturday objected to a Mumbra resident’s application to marry gangster Abu Salem, stating there was a possibility he may have threatened her.Updated: Aug 01, 2015 23:05 IST
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Saturday objected to a Mumbra resident’s application to marry gangster Abu Salem, stating there was a possibility he may have threatened her.
In its two-page reply to the application, the agency said the woman had “no locus” [was not in a position] to file such an application.
The agency wants the woman to be called to court, to question her on the reason behind filing the application, sources said.
The CBI also said Salem has been attacked thrice, and in such circumstances, it would be dangerous to send him to a public place like a marriage registrar.
On June 15, the woman had moved an application before the court, stating she had been defamed by the news of her alleged marriage to the gangster.
“I feel like committing suicide, as there is no other alternative… As I have been defamed, I would like to now take a bold step and get married to the said person, Abu Salem,” read her application.
The agency said the court has ordered an investigation into the news report. But the woman has not taken any action against the newspaper that published the report.
In reply to the application, Salem, who is facing trial in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case and who has been convicted in the Pradeep Jain murder case, agreed to marry her.
“I apologise from the bottom of my heart to the applicant for whatever suffering she had to undergo because of my name being attached with her. I have no intention to cause any disrespect and harm to the applicant, as she is not at fault,” said Salem, in his two-page reply.
“With great respect to her feeling and character, I intend to go ahead with the said proposal of getting married before the registrar under the Special Marriage Act. I am doing no favour for her by accepting her proposal. I don’t want her to get defamed,” he said, accepting the marriage proposal.
The court has scheduled the next hearing on August 10.