Sign in

47 NTA officials sacked amid nationwide student protests, more cleanup to follow

The NTA terminated 47 officials amid reforms following paper leak controversies, while the Centre also cleared tougher anti-paper leak penalties.

Updated on: Jul 25, 2026, 07:19:31 IST
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

The National Testing Agency (NTA) has terminated the services of 47 officials in what is being described as a “major overhaul” of the agency following a series of examination controversies, including the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.

Students, activists and members of various civil society organisations participate in a candlelight solidarity gathering in support of climate activist Sonam Wangchuk, demanding protection of student rights and raising concerns over the functioning of the National Testing Agency (NTA). (PTI)
Students, activists and members of various civil society organisations participate in a candlelight solidarity gathering in support of climate activist Sonam Wangchuk, demanding protection of student rights and raising concerns over the functioning of the National Testing Agency (NTA). (PTI)

The action comes amid continuing student protests at Jantar Mantar demanding the resignation of Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan over alleged irregularities in NEET.

Apart from the dismissals, legal and criminal proceedings are likely to be initiated against some officials based on findings of internal inquiries and inputs from investigating agencies, the people said. The NTA is yet to disclose the names, ranks or specific reasons behind the terminations.

Also read: NEET UG Result 2026: NTA issues notice against fake, AI-generated OMR sheets, warns of strict legal consequences

NTA begins restructuring after paper leak controversy

The overhauling of the agency is part of a wider restructuring of the examination body in line with the recommendations of the High-Level Committee of Experts (HLCE) headed by former ISRO chairman K Radhakrishnan. The seven-member panel constituted in June 2024 had submitted its report on October 21, and recommended replacing NTA’s contractual workforce with permanent, accountable staff.

As part of the exercise, the agency has invited applications for four newly created general manager posts covering assessment research and psychometrics, test centre network and operations, information security, and vigilance, investigation and forensics. It has also advertised 16 young professional positions through the Union Public Service Commission’s Pratibha Setu portal.

Also read: 'Can't let it go on like this': SC seeks govt's stand on NEET-UG, data security

“These measures represent the first concrete step in the institutional rebuild of NTA... Further recruitment and empowerment actions across the ten functional verticals recommended by the High-Level Committee of Experts will follow in the coming weeks,” the agency said in a statement.

The recruitment drive is aimed at reducing the agency’s dependence on contractual and outsourced staff. Of NTA’s 39 sanctioned permanent posts—all to be filled on deputation—only 24 are occupied. The agency currently functions with 73 contractual employees and 124 outsourced personnel.

Earlier this month, NTA invited applications from serving officers of the Centre, states, Union Territories, autonomous bodies and public sector undertakings for nine senior positions including three joint directors, two deputy directors, two assistant directors, one research scientist (C), and one senior superintendent (Accounts).

In May, it advertised three specialist leadership roles— chief technology officer, chief finance officer and general manager (human resources)—to strengthen governance and modernise its operations.

Also read: CBI finds no evidence against 'mastermind' Sanjeev Mukhiya in 2024 NEET paper leak case

More reforms planned ahead of computer-based NEET

The overhaul will also extend to examination delivery in the coming years. From 2027, NEET-UG will be conducted in computer-based mode, replacing the current pen-and-paper format.

More than 2.2 million candidates appeared for the NEET-UG 2026 re-test on June 21 after the original May 3 examination was cancelled over a paper leak. CBI, which is investigating the case under the Public Examinations (Prevention of Unfair Means) Act, 2024 and other laws, has arrested 13 people and is expected to file its charge sheet later this month.

  • Sanjay Maurya
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Sanjay Maurya

    Sanjay Maurya is a Principal Correspondent with Hindustan Times, where he covers education, with a focus on school and higher education, competitive examinations, education policy and governance. Working as part of the National Bureau, he is based in New Delhi and reports on the Ministry of Education and covers various statutory bodies like UGC, AICTE and NCTE and autonomous bodies like CBSE and NCERT. His reporting also tracks the implementation of key government reforms and policies from school education to higher education including in IITs, NITs, IIMs, central and state universities, and their impact on students and educational institutions. His reporting on the irregularities and rushed implementation of CBSE's On-Screen Marking (OSM) system for evaluation of Class 12 board exams 2026, triggered administrative action, leading to the transfer of the board's two senior-most officials and the constitution of a committee to probe alleged irregularities in procurement process of the system. He joined Hindustan Times in December 2024. Prior to that, he had a three-year stint at Careers360, where he reported on school and higher education, entrance examinations, admissions, rankings and various education policies involving universities and professional education bodies. Over the years, Maurya has reported extensively on major developments in India's education sector, including the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, reforms in the National Testing Agency (NTA) following the NEET-UG 2024 controversy, changes in school education, higher education regulation, and the evolution of entrance examinations such as NEET, JEE and CUET. He regularly produces data-driven and explanatory stories based on government documents, parliamentary proceedings, court records and official data. His focus remains on helping readers understand how education policies and institutional decisions affect millions of students, teachers and educational institutions across the country.Read More

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.