Police seek collector’s nod to exhume Rameez’s body
The Versova police, on Friday, wrote to the Collector’s office for permission to exhume the body of Rameez Choughule, one of the two siblings who died because of alleged pesticide poisoning last month, HT reports.mumbai Updated: Aug 25, 2012 01:05 IST
The Versova police, on Friday, wrote to the Collector’s office for permission to exhume the body of Rameez Choughule, one of the two siblings who died because of alleged pesticide poisoning last month.
“We have sought the Collector’s permission to exhume Rameez’s body in order to ascertain the cause of death. The expert medical panel of four doctors, in their recently submitted report, had said that to find out the actual cause of the siblings’ deaths, a fresh post mortem needs to be conducted,” said a senior official who did not wish to be named.
The police said Rehab’s final post mortem report had revealed that she had died because of phosphine poisoning. Traces of the lethal chemical, aluminium phosphide, were found in her stomach as well as on her lungs.
“We will now investigate if Rehab had consumed aluminum phosphide or had accidentally inhaled it. There is a big question mark over Rameez’s death as no post-mortem was conducted on his body at all,” the official said.
On July 3, Andheri resident Rameez, Rehab’s brother, was rushed to a hospital after he complained of feeling sick. He was declared dead on arrival. Rehab then showed similar symptoms and was taken to hospital, where she died.
First Published: Aug 25, 2012 01:04 IST