Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2019-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

24-year-old ties, gags wife, hangs himself as she watches in horror in Ghaziabad

Police said Rizwan was not keeping well for past some time and did not have a regular job due to which he was depressed.

noida Updated: May 20, 2017 00:09 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Ghaziabad suicide,Man comits suicide,Man hangs self
A first-year MBBS student was found hanging in her room in the girls hostel in AIIMS campus. (Representative photo)

A 24-year-old man allegedly hanged himself while his wife, with her hands tied and a cloth stuffed into her mouth, watched helplessly in Ghaziabad’s Khoda on Friday afternoon.

The victim, Rizwan, had eloped with Nasreen from their native town in Samastipur, Bihar, two months ago. They reached Ghaziabad and married there. They took a house on rent in Dipak Vihar in Khoda and Rizwan got a job at a factory in Noida.

Police said Rizwan was not keeping well for past some time and did not have a regular job due to which he was depressed.

“On Friday, at 4pm, Rizwan returned home from work and told his wife that he was not feeling well. To this, Nasreen said that he doesn’t take care of himself. She also told him to get a proper job otherwise they will continue to suffer,” said JP Chaubey, SHO, Khoda police station, explaining the sequence of events that led to the suicide.

“They had an argument after which Rizwan tied Nasreen’s hands and stuffed a cloth into her mouth. As Nasreen desperately tried to free herself, Rizwan picked up a bedsheet, made a noose out of it and hanged himself from the ceiling fan,” Choubey said.

Nasreen was able to free herself after a couple of minutes and shouted for help. Neighbours who responded to her cries for help found that Rizwan had died already. “When Nasreen was told that Rizwan has died, she fainted due to the trauma,” the SHO said.

Mohammad Irshad, Nasreen’s elder brother, said the couple had eloped once more earlier too. “Some months ago, Nasreen and Rizwan had run away from home but were traced. We also complained to police and Rizwan had been warned to stay away from her,” Irshad said.

However, they eloped again two months ago and could not be traced, he said. “Despite efforts, they could not be traced, we only knew that they were living somewhere in UP,” Irshad said. Nasreen called her family for the first time since elopement on Friday evening to inform about the incident.

“She called up and was crying. We were shocked and repeatedly asked her what had happened. But she could not tell us ” Irshad said .

Nasreen is among nine siblings, including three sisters. The police said that they have sent the body for postmortem.

First Published: May 19, 2017 00:00 IST