Pune baby burned in incubator dies; hospital served show cause notice
The child’s mother, Swati Kadam, learned about the death on Thursday afternoon after the baby’s body had already been cremated. On Tuesday morning, after the baby was delivered through a caesarean, Swati was undergoing an operation when the incident happened, according to the police.Updated: Sep 28, 2017 23:34 IST
Hindustan Times, Pune
The minutes-old baby, which suffered critical burn injuries while in an incubator at Vatsalya Hospital, Budhwar peth, died in the early hours on Thursday at Sassoon hospital.
The child’s mother, Swati Kadam, learned about the death on Thursday afternoon after the baby’s body had already been cremated. On Tuesday morning, after the baby was delivered through a caesarean, Swati was undergoing an operation when the incident happened, according to the police.
“She kept on asking me to swear on our god and tell her that her daughter was fine even as she was recovering from her own operation. We told her the news today. She is recovering now,” said Swati’s mother. The mother, who was shattered by the news, was recuperating at the hospital where the incident took place.
The baby, which suffered 80-90% burns, was rushed to the burns ward at Sassoon hospital on Wednesday evening where she was declared dead.
Dr Gaurav Chopade and his staff at the hospital have been charged under Indian Penal Code (IPC) Sections 287 (negligence while using machinery), 338 (causing grievous hurt) and 304(a) for causing death due to negligence, police inspector (crime) Amol Marathe of Vishrambaug police station said.
The incubator machine which allegedly malfunctioned, was sent by the police to the forensic lab at Chatuhshrungi. According to the police, the machine was manufactured by KAS Technologies located at Kothrud, Pune. The police visited the company on Thursday and sought the maintenance records. “Further action will be taken as the investigation proceeds,” Marathe said.
Two rooms in the hospital were locked on Wednesday following a directive from the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC). On Thursday, the PMC sent the hospital a show cause notice asking for the details of the incident. “They have seven days’ time to respond to it,” said Dr Vaishali Jadhav, assistant medical officer of health, PMC.
The hospital has been debarred from admitting new patients until further notice from the PMC.
First Published: Sep 28, 2017 23:33 IST