Bio-fungicide kills 24 goats in Kapurthala
Twenty-four goats died after consuming Trichoderma Viride, a bio-fungicide primarily used for soil treatment, at Saidowal village near here on Monday. The animal husbandry department, however, rescued 20 others.punjab Updated: Apr 10, 2012 16:27 IST
Twenty-four goats died after consuming Trichoderma Viride, a bio-fungicide primarily used for soil treatment, at Saidowal village near here on Monday. The animal husbandry department, however, rescued 20 others.
"After the herd returned from grazing on Sunday evening, I noticed goats lying down. I called village vet dispensary incharge, who examined the cattle and gave medicines," livestock owner Balkar Singh said.
On Monday morning, a team of veterinary doctors comprising surgery specialist Dr Harjit Singh, pathologist Dr Kulwinder Singh and veterinary officer Dr Deepak Anand reached the spot.
"Balkar Singh gave us a polythene bag, which apparently contained the bio-fungicide sprayed on fields where the goats grazed," said deputy director, animal husbandry, Dr Jaspal Singh Ghumman, who was present as goats were being provided treatment.
A bio-fungicide, Trichoderma Viride, which is normally used for soil treatment, was sprayed by the owner of a nearby mushroom farm on the waste lying there, he added.
Balkar Singh said he had suffered a great loss, as goats were his only source of income. Stating that the treatment of goats is on, Dr Ghumman said, "We managed to rescue 20 goats, while 24 of them, including 21 male, died."
"The veterinary department has buried all the dead goats, as the owner might try to sell these for money," said Dr Ghumman.
The matter has been reported to the DC with a recommendation of Rs 1.75-lakh compensation for the owner, he said.
First Published: Apr 10, 2012 16:23 IST