New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 18, 2019-Wednesday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019

Punjab Cong MLA punctures own govt’s claim on drug menace, says drive worked only for 15 days

MLA Dhiman is considered a loyalist of the CM. “Though CM Amarinder Singh had promised to eradicate drugs and gangsters, the government remained active only for 15 days,” he said.

punjab Updated: Aug 01, 2017 09:23 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Sunam (Sangrur)
(Representative image)

Even as chief minister Capt Amarinder Singh and his government in Punjab claim that their drive against drugs has been a huge success ever since the Congress came to power in March, party MLA Surjit Dhiman said on Monday that ‘chitta’ (‘white powder’, referring to drugs) is “easily available in every nook and corner” the as the drive against the menace “remained effective for only the first 15 days of the government”.

A member of the legislative assembly from Amargarh segment, Dhiman is considered a loyalist of the CM and had sided with him when he was fighting a turf war within the party.

He was speaking at a state-level function to commemorate the martyrdom of Shaheed Udam Singh, where cabinet minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot was the chief guest.

“Though CM Amarinder Singh had promised to eradicate drugs and gangsters, the government remained active only for 15 days. When we formed government, we hoped drug smugglers and gangsters would be behind bars soon. Now, I can tell you the names of constituencies where drugs are being supplied,” he said in his speech from the stage. He alleged that dacoits and smugglers are the ruling roost in Dirba, from where once he was elected as MLA. That segment at present is represented by Harpal Cheema of the Aam Aadmi Party.

“The drug menace is the main hurdle to fulfilling the dreams of Udham Singh. Drugs have ruined Punjabi youth, who have failed to follow the philosophy of determination and courage of freedom fighters,” he said.

Later, minister Dharamsot reacted to the statement, saying, “We have controlled 90% of drugs and the remaining 10% will be wiped out soon. Indeed the Shiromani Akali Dal had been feeding this poison to the state for the past 10 years. So, now, it will take some time.”

Meanwhile Daman Thind Bajwa, vice-president of the Punjab Youth Congress and the party’s Sunam candidate who lost to an AAP nominee, said that though the results in Sunam were not like other parts of the state where Congress won, “every single promise made with the people here will be fulfilled”.

MLAs Vijay Inder Singla (Sangrur), Dalvir Singh Goldy (Dhuri) and Amrinder Singh Raja Warring (Gidderbaha) also spoke on the occasion and paid homage to Udham Singh.

First Published: Jul 31, 2017 19:30 IST