Dance academy owner held after 9-year-old girl gets electrocuted to death in Ludhiana | punjab | ludhiana | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 22, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dance academy owner held after 9-year-old girl gets electrocuted to death in Ludhiana

The incident took place on Thursday when the girls went to the washroom on the roof of the academy being run in a rented building.

punjab Updated: Jul 20, 2018 21:07 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Ludhiana
Dance academy,9-year-old girl,electrocuted
With low hanging wires posing threat during the ongoing monsoon, at least seven people have been electrocuted to death in various parts of the city in the past four days.(HT)

A nine-year-old girl was electrocuted to death while her eight-year-old friend suffered burn injuries in an attempt to rescue her at a dance academy in New Janta Nagar here on Thursday evening.

Pawan Kumar Thapar, owner of Fragrance Dance Academy, was arrested on Friday. He has been booked for causing death due to negligence. With low hanging wires posing threat during the ongoing monsoon, at least seven people have been electrocuted to death in various parts of the city in the past four days.

The incident took place on Thursday when the girls went to the washroom on the roof of the academy being run in a rented building.The deceased has been identified as Ishmeet Kaur of New Deep Nagar. She was studying in Class 4 at BCM School, Dugri, and had joined the dance academy along with her elder brother during summer vacation.

Meanwhile, her friend Vaibhavi is undergoing treatment at Guru Teg Bahadur Charitable Hospital, where her condition is stated to be stable. She, too, studies in Class 4.

Had gone to washroom

Ishmeet’s father, Narinder Singh, an optician, said Ishmeet and Vaibhavi had gone to the roof to use the washroom.

“Vaibhavi told me that just when Ishmeet touched the parapet, she got an electric shock. When Vaibhavi tried to rescue her and pulled her feet, she too suffered a shock and fell unconscious. Another girl student who was following them raised the alarm,” he said.

When Singh reached the academy, he saw the owner trying to rescue the girl using a wooden log. Her clothes had caught fire, he said. On being rushed to Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ishmeet was declared brought dead.

“High voltage electricity wires are crossing over the roof and due to the rain there was current flowing through the parapet,” said Singh, while accusing the academy owner of negligence for sending the girls to the roof alone. Assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Jagtar Singh of the Shimlapuri police station, who is investigating the case, said Thapar was running the academy for the past two years. He fled after the incident but was later arrested.

Meanwhile, mayor Balkar Singh Sandhu said all streetlights, which may cause current to run through stagnant water, had been disconnected during rains. “However, I will ask municipal officers to check all connections,” he said.

Recent cases

July 19: A 50-year-old woman labourer succumbed to her burn injuries after she was electrocuted on walking through water accumulated at a factory in Focal Point after rain on July 17.

July 18: A 30-year-old Gurpal Nagar man died on touching a shop’s shutters, through which current was running, in Daba.

July 18: A 34-year-old employee of ESIC Hospital electrocuted to death in Daba because of current in stagnant water.

July 17: A 50-year-old man died after current passed through rainwater that entered his house in Dhillon Nagar.

July 16: A man died because of current in stagnant water in Chawal Bazaar.

July 16: A 32-year-old labourer electrocuted to death at a factory in Jugiana.

First Published: Jul 20, 2018 21:00 IST