Fire at timber store, articles worth Rs 1 cr gutted
A major fire broke out at Ganpati Timber and Traders store on Friday. Seven fire tenders made several rounds to douse the flames, which damaged all wooden articles kept in the store. The firemen took around 8 hours to douse the fire.punjab Updated: Nov 08, 2014 13:18 IST
A major fire broke out at Ganpati Timber and Traders store on Friday. Seven fire tenders made several rounds to douse the flames, which damaged all wooden articles kept in the store. The firemen took around 8 hours to douse the fire.
It has been learnt that articles worth around Rs 1 crore were gutted in the mishap. As per information from the fire brigade department, the staff of the store got to know about the fire around 7.30 am and the fire wing was informed at 7.40am.
Earlier, a single fire tender was pressed into service, but when the officials found that fire was major more tenders were pressed into service.
As the shutters of the store were locked when the fire broke out, a JCB was used to break them so that the fire team could reach inside the store to douse the flames.
Senior officials of the fire wing and the municipal corporation also reached the spot for inspection.
An employee of the Ganpati Timber store said, “Expensive wooden articles were kept inside the store. I don’t know the exact reason behind the fire, but when I went inside the store everything was burnt. It is a big loss for the staff. None of staff members was present inside the store.”
It has been learnt that wood was also kept in the adjoining godown of another company. Sources said there were many timber stores in city which lack required fire safety arrangements.
Assistant fire divisional officer Bhupinder Singh said, “It was a major fire and we have got to know that articles worth around Rs 1 crore were damaged. Investigation is on and short circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the fire.” He, however, said no casualty was reported.
Fire dept lacks staff
Posts of firemen, but it has only 40 firefighters. Of them 10 firemen attend the phone calls, while others perform duty in the field. Despite highlighting the issue, the government has failed to recruit firemen. Also, the firemen do not have safety kits suck as gas masks, gloves, shoes, jackets, etc.
Buildings lack fire-safety certificates
Majority of fires break out due to short circuit. Also, many buildings in the city do not have fire-safety certificates. Besides, on average two fire mishaps take place in the city in a day.
Past fire incidents
Nov 2: Three shanties gutted on Tajpur road
Oct 23: 30 fire incidents were reported on Diwali day
Oct 3: Fire breaks out at two units near Basti Jodhewal and Cheema Chowk; damage worth lakhs reported
Sept 23: Fire breaks out at a cotton products manufacturing unit at Chauri Sadak area
Aug 26: Fire at a blankets mill in Kohara
Aug 25: A major fire breaks out at a hosiery unit in Shivpuri. Three workers were killed
Aug 24: Goods worth lakhs gutted in a fire at a dyeing unit on Raahon Road.
First Published: Nov 08, 2014 13:15 IST