Fires at mall, college damage property worth lakhs
Major fires broke out at Silver Arc Mall and Arya College on Sunday, causing damage worth lakhs. Preliminary investigations revealed that short circuit was the reason behind these fire incidents.punjab Updated: Feb 09, 2014 21:29 IST
Major fires broke out at Silver Arc Mall and Arya College on Sunday, causing damage worth lakhs. Preliminary investigations revealed that short circuit was the reason behind these fire incidents.
At Silver Arc Mall on Ferozepur Road, the fire broke out at 9:15am at a store of 'Guess', an international clothing company. Clothes, handbags and other articles were gutted within minutes as the fire spread across the store.
As smoke started billowing from the store, security guards tried to use fire equipment to douse it, while a call was made to the fire department at 9.20am. The fire brigade reached the spot soon after, but it took around an hour to douse the flames. "By the time we reached the spot, the fire had engulfed the entire showroom; it was difficult to breath inside the mall. The security guards tried their best, but it took five fire tenders to douse the fire," said Rajesh Kumar, sub-fire officer, fire department.
The firefighters also broke a small part of a wall of the mall to douse the fire. Kumar claimed that short circuit was the cause of the fire in which nobody was hurt. "We will visit the spot on Monday to know the exact cause. The mall has complies with fire-safety norms," said Bhupinder Singh, assistant divisional fire officer.
Two other showrooms also suffer losses
According to police, though the fire broke out at the "Guess" store, several articles were also damaged at the adjoining cosmetics store and Easyday store.
Sub-inspector Baljinder Singh said though nobody was injured, water from fire tenders caused damage to other showrooms. "Due to high pressure of the water, the ceiling of an adjoining cosmetics store was damaged. As the water entered the cosmetics and Easyday stores, some articles were damaged," he said.
Computers gutted at Arya College
More than 30 computers were damaged in the fire at Arya College on Hambran Road on Sunday. One computer lab was completely gutted in the incident, while the fire also damaged the adjoining labs and corridor of Bharti IT Block.
Two fire tenders took around 25 minutes to douse the fire. The college claimed that though the fire damaged more than 30 computers, the machines in adjoining labs could have also been damaged after coming in contact with water used to put the fire out.
Two online exams for the promotion of bank employees were scheduled to be held at the college. While one exam had already finished, another was scheduled later. A few teachers were present at the computer centre, but they came out timely as the fire broke out. "The fire broke out around 1/30 pm. The first exam was held between 10am and 12pm, while another was scheduled from 2.30pm to 4.30pm. Nobody was injured," said professor Ashok Singla, vice-principal of Arya College.
First Published: Feb 09, 2014 21:26 IST