Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2019-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Slapping jobless youth cost KJ Singh his life, says Mohali police

Caught in KJ Singh’s car: Accused was driving scribe’s stolen car with changed number plate, nabbed by PCR staff.

punjab Updated: Oct 27, 2017 09:11 IST
Shub Karman Dhaliwal
Shub Karman Dhaliwal
Hindustan Times, Mohali
KJ Singh,KJ Singh murder,Mohali double murder
Mohali SSP Kuldeep Singh Chahal (centre) producing the accused (in black) before mediapersons on Thursday. The kitchen knife used to commit the crime, KJ’s mobile phones and ATM cards can also be seen. (Anil Dayal/HT)

Slapping an unemployed youth for sitting in a park next to his house cost senior journalist KJ Singh his life, claimed the Mohali police on Thursday.

Police on Thursday arrested 27-year-old Gaurav Kumar, who hails from Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh and was staying at Kajheri village in neighbouring Chandigarh, for the brutal murder of KJ Singh, 64, and his bed-ridden mother Gurcharan Kaur, 92, on the night of September 22.

  • September 23: Senior journalist KJ Singh and his bed-ridden mother found murdered at his house in Phase 3B2, Mohali. Punjab government forms SIT
  • September 25: Postmortem confirms murder took place on the night of September 22. KJ stabbed multiple times, mother strangulate
  • October 15: Suspecting property angle, police summon KJ’s brother VP Singh and nephew Ajaypal Singh to formally join the investigation. Earlier, police also suspected it to be a crime of passion and committed by contract killers.
  • October 21: After scanning CCTV footage and call data, police release pictures of five people suspected to have conducted recce near KJ’s house before murder
  • October 23: Probe hits wall as suspects, who were rounded up from Bathinda, turn out to be students who were looking for paying-guest accommodation.
  • October 26: Gaurav Kumar held while driving KJ’s stolen car. He confesses to the crime.

What led to his undoing was KJ’s car that he had taken away after the double murder.

It was around 12:15pm on Thursday that the police control room (PCR) vehicle number 26 on patrol on the YPS-Sohana road saw the green Ford Ikon with a suspicious number: PB-64A-6474. The original number of the car was PB-65A-0164.

When constables Parminder Singh and Ranjit signalled the car to stop, the driver sped away. The patrol staff then informed assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Ajay Pathak, who managed to intercept the accused near the Sohana gurdwara on the Airport Road.

“On checking the car, cops recovered a Press Club sticker along with a service slip in the name of KJ Singh,” said deputy superintendent of police (DSP, city 1) Alam Vijay Singh.

Police also recovered the kitchen knife used to commit the crime besides two mobile phones belonging to KJ Singh, three of his ATM cards, a DVD player, an Airtel TV set top box and his watch from Gaurav.

“We have already written to the UP Police to verify Gaurav’s records,” said Mataur station house officer (SHO) Jarnail Singh. “We will produce him in court on Friday to seek his remand.”

The SHO said the accused was staying with a live-in partner at house number 498 in Kajheri. He had also gone to Georgia in Europe on work permit but returned after nothing materialised. At present, he was jobless, he said.

KJ Singh (64) and his mother Gurcharan Kaur (92). ( HT Photo )

What transpired on day of murder

“On the day of murder (September 22), Gaurav was sitting in the park since morning, which made KJ sceptical,” said Mohali senior superintendent of police (SSP) Kuldeep Singh Chahal while briefing mediapersons. “In the afternoon, KJ questioned him over his presence. The two entered into an argument, during which KJ slapped Gaurav a couple of times.”

A person walking in the park also asked Gaurav not to get into arguments with elderly people, he said.

Looking for vengeance, the accused went to his rented accommodation and returned on foot with a knife, following which he sat in the park planning his next move, said Chahal.

“As per his statement, the double murder was committed between 10:30pm and 10:45 pm,” said Chahal.

After ringing the door bell of KJ’s house, Gaurav allegedly hid behind a wall. Just as KJ opened the door to take a glance, Gaurav stuck his foot in the door and struck at KJ with the knife, rupturing his liver.

Police said footprints found at the door matched with that of Gaurav’s.

“The first strike was very vicious,” superintendent of police (detective) Harbir Singh Atwal told HT. “As KJ tried to defend himself, the two fell in different directions. However, given his agility, Gaurav got up and slit KJ’s throat.”

On hearing the commotion, KJ’s mother started screaming, said Atwal, adding that Gaurav went to her room and strangulated her to death.

“After touching any object in the house, Gaurav would wipe it with a cloth to remove his fingerprints. He also washed his hands in the washroom attached to the room of KJ’s mother. He also opened the cupboards,” said Atwal.

Gaurav stayed at KJ’s house for an hour and 15 minutes after the murder. Fearing somebody will see his blood-stained shirt, he took away KJ’s car.

At 12am, on his way to Kajheri, Gaurav crossed the Phase 3B2/5 light point and the PCL light point.

“He parked the car in the common parking in Kajheri and changed its registration plate after two days,” said Atwal. Police suspect Gaurav was planning another crime soon.

Sources said the accused’s mobile phone was switched off, making it impossible for the police to trace his location as there was no information of his phone being active during the dump data collection.

(The story has been updated)

First Published: Oct 26, 2017 13:03 IST