SAD reaction has proved my accusations true: Sidhu
Reacting to the complaint filed against him by alliance partner Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), former MP Navjot Singh Sidhu said he had never named anyone in his remarks and the SAD's reaction was proving his accusations true.punjab Updated: Nov 19, 2014 00:05 IST
Reacting to the complaint filed against him by alliance partner Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), former MP Navjot Singh Sidhu said he had never named anyone in his remarks and the SAD's reaction was proving his accusations true.
Talking to HT over the phone, Sidhu said, "What I simply said was that demons in Punjab must be shown the door. I talked about those who were looting and plundering Punjab. I never took anyone's name. But now, certain Akali leaders are reacting and I never knew they fall in this category."
He added that he did not take anybody's name and couldn't understand what was panicking the alliance partner.
During a religious function in Ludhiana, Sidhu had said, "The time has come to make the demons leave Punjab."
He had also taken a dig at the Raj Nahi Sewa slogan, saying that in Punjab, only 10% was sewa (service) while the remaining 90% was mewa (gain).
Regarding the complaint filed by the SAD to Punjab BJP chief, Sidhu said, "Since 15 years, it is the BJP that has been complaining. It is good to see that someone has complained against the BJP. The winds are changing in Punjab."
Alliance partner Akali Dal took took strong exception to Sidhu's speech and shot a complaint to Punjab BJP chief Kamal Sharma, asking the party to 'tame' Sidhu and also take disciplinary action against him, as such outbursts could not be tolerated in a coalition.
Sidhu's speech also made his staunch opponent, revenue minister Bikram Majithia break his silence after a long time. Taking a dig at Sidhu, he said, "Sidhu's outburst is a sign of frustration because he was denied a ticket in the 2014 lok sabha polls."
Majithia, while terming Sidhu's vocabulary as unfortunate, had asked the BJP to take note of his outbursts.
Complaint forwarded to high command: Sharma
In Amritsar on Tuesday, Punjab BJP chief Kamal Sharma said, "The SAD's complaint against Sidhu has been forwarded to the BJP high command."
He stressed that he could understand the feelings of the coalition partner and added that no personal outbursts could affect the alliance.
First Published: Nov 19, 2014 00:02 IST