North or south, I want to be an Indian star: Sriya Saran
They are trained dancers, have smouldering looks and they often move from Chennai to make Mumbai their homes.
Once, there were Vyjayanthimala, Padmini, Hema Malini, Rekha, Sridevi and Jaya Prada to name a few. Now more heroines from the southern movies are poised to make waves in apna Bombay movies. And Sriya Saran is ready to roll
I've been shooting for Apoorva Lakhia's Mission Istanbul. There's Ek-The Power of One, a cute love story. I'm playing a hyper-Punjabi girl who talks more and thinks less.
These appearances will be longer than your role in Aawarapan?
The role was brief but it was an important character. I was skeptical initially but Mohit (Suri) asked me to trust him. The girl I played was like a beautiful fairy Aawarapan strengthened my conviction that all religions are equal.
How do you look back on Sivaji?
Rajnikanth sir is so cool. Although he is the biggest Asian star, he still travels in a small car, doesn't demand five-star accommodation and chats up the lightboys.
And I'll never forget the lavish dance sequences. Sometimes even (director) Shankar couldn't recognise me. Once when I wore a blonde wig, my mother thought I was a foreigner.
There was a controversy over the dress you wore for Sivaji's 175th day celebrations.
It was a knee-length dress. We're a free country, I should be able to wear what I like unless it's indecent. Even the CM's daughter stood up for me. But if I've been disrespectful to any section of society, I apologise.
How did Ashok Amritraj's international project The Other Side of the Line happen?
They were looking for a Bombay girl, thanks to Sivaji they'd heard of me. I had to attend a two week workshop. My co-stars Anupam Kher and Jesse Metcalfe were a big help.
The buzz is that you are dating Jesse Metcalfe?
He's already into a serious relationship. He's a nice guy, I respect his friendship. It does become a bit difficult though. I have to explain things to my parents who are simple, normal folk.
Is it adieu to the South then?
Not at all. Hey, north or south, I want to be an Indian star, remember?
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- WandaVision left fans stunned when they introduced Evan Peters as Pietro instead of bringing back Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige weighs in on the recasting.
- Richa Chadha has shared a song featuring Aishwarya Rai and Salman Khan to express her sorrow on paying a huge price for getting her fuel tank filled.
- Vindu Dara Singh wrote a tender note on Rakhi Sawant's mother as the elderly lady gets treated for cancer.
- As Aly Goni celebrated his 30th birthday, his girlfriend Jasmin Bhasin took to Instagram and penned a sweet note for the Bigg Boss 14 finalist.
- Sidharth Shukla lashed out at a troll targeting him. The Bigg Boss 13 winner also gave a befitting reply to a troll commenting on his friendship with Shehnaaz Gill.
- Malaika Arora has shared a throwback picture from one of her old photoshoots which had her running barefoot in between two fields.
- Sunayana Fozdar, the new Anjali on Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, has said she has played the character for just five months and have so much to give to the role.
- It has been 10 years since Kangana Ranaut and R Madhavan-starrer Tanu Weds Manu released on the big screen. On the occasion, director Aanand L Rai penned a note of gratitude, thanking fans for his "Woh Tanu weds Manu wala Aanand Rai" identity.