Seven seas apart: How to make a long distance relationship work
Here's your guide to improve your relationship when you and your beloved are seven seas apart.sex and relationships Updated: Jun 06, 2015 14:42 IST
Are the seven seas separating you from your beau or your dream girl? Then, you are not alone. Career, education or even families can sometimes force a couple to stay apart. The thought of not holding hands or the irksome time differences in a long distance relationship (LDR) can play spoilsport but it does have its own pros, say experts. "Physical intimacy has a huge role to play, however, long distance relationships give couples a chance to learn each other's importance and respect their differences," says psychiatrist Dr Gorav Gupta, Tulasi Healthcare.
Going the extra mile, literally, to meet when possible and maintaining healthy communication also helps. Psychiatrist Dr Manish Jain of BLK Super Specialty Hospital says, "Communicating well can make relationships work despite the distance. Couples should be clear about their long-term goals and be wise enough to know if their relationship will help or hinder their personal goals."
And, if you and your partner have decided to delve right into the deep blue sea, here are a few tips to keep the boat afloat.
1) Internet bonding:Take advantage of the latest technology to keep in touch with your sweetheart. The app, Skype allows real time, face-to-face bonding over the internet. Though, know where to draw the line and not let this virtual world interfere with reality.
2) Cash in on phone discounts:Smarten up and develop a keen sense for lucrative call or text offers by your mobile network company. Calling cards will save you big bucks when you need to call long distance multiple times in a day.
3) Avoid trust issues:For a happy ending to your LDR, the key is to not let trust issues crop up. Loyalty and honesty are the best gifts you can give to your partner, especially in such a relationship. Have the strength to speak the truth to each other.
4) Keep the lover in the loop:Share your thoughts, experiences with your partner to keep the spark alive. Sweet nothings, good morning and good night messages, just-like-that-texts and thinking-of-you mails will definitely bring a smile to their face.
5) Tone down the expectation:Things will become easier for the both of you if you understand each other's priorities right and learn to not expect much. Be mature enough to understand that he or she might be busy when you are free or vice-versa.
6) Manage the conflicts:Everybody has issues, some make mountains out of mole hills, others rather not. When things are not so good, give each other the benefit of the doubt. There can be times when being hyper or agitated is only natural; however, wisdom lies in handling situations patiently and carefully. Step into your partner's shoes and try to find out where it bites.
First Published: Jun 06, 2015 14:33 IST