Chelsea dumped out of League Cup by Burnley | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 17, 2018-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Chelsea dumped out of League Cup by Burnley

Chelsea was dumped out of the League Cup on penalty kicks by lower-league Burnley, while defending champion Tottenham advanced to the quarterfinals with a 4-2 victory over Liverpool.

sports Updated: Nov 13, 2008 10:42 IST

Chelsea was dumped out of the League Cup on penalty kicks by lower-league Burnley, while defending champion Tottenham advanced to the quarterfinals with a 4-2 victory over Liverpool on Wednesday.

Didier Drogba put English Premier League leader Chelsea ahead with his first goal of the season in the 27th minute, but Burnley striker Ade Akinbiyi's equalized in the 70th to send the fourth-round fixture into extra time. The League Championship side prevailed 5-4 on penalty kicks with goalkeeper Brian Jensen saving from Wayne Bridge and John Mikel Obi.

Tottenham strikers Roman Pavlyuchenko and Fraizer Campbell each scored twice in the space of 15 minutes either side of the break to continue Harry Redknapp's unbeaten six-match run since being tasked with reviving an ailing Spurs side last month.

Blackburn, which beat Spurs in the 2002 final, advanced from the fourth round with a 2-1 victory at Sunderland.

Just as Redknapp had desired, Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez made 10 changes from the side that beat West Brom in the Premier League on Saturday.

Although Benitez expected more with star striker Fernando Torres _ in his first start in more than a month _ joining a host of international names, the Spaniard can now focus on winning the club's first league title since 1990.

"I'm disappointed because I want to win every game and we came here with a lot of players with quality to win," Benitez said. "But if you can't keep playing with the same squad you have to think about other priorities _ the Premier League and the Champions League, then the FA Cup."

After a disjointed 38 minutes, Pavlyuchenko sparked a thrilling conclusion to the half when the Russian swept home after Campbell cut the ball back.

Within four minutes, Campbell scored the first goal of his loan spell from Manchester United after confusion in Liverpool's defense. Andrea Dossena cut across goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri's vision as Campbell headed on Jamie O'Hara's deep pass.

Campbell had waited two months to open his Spurs account, and added another on the stroke of halftime with a diving header from Aaron Lennon's cross.

"Young Fraizer has been great, worked hard and you can see why (United manager) Alex Ferguson doesn't want to sell him," Redknapp said.

Damien Plessis gave hope of another Liverpool comeback in the 49th after nodding in Ryan Babel's corner.

But Didier Zokora was given space to race down the left flank three minutes later, and square to Pavlyuchenko, who restored Tottenham's three-goal advantage.

Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, who had been culpable for the visitor's first goal, gave them another route back into the match in the 63rd. The Brazilian raced off the line and failed to punch Babel's corner clear, giving Sami Hyypia a routine header. Gomes' collision with Phillipp Degen in the 68th took the gloss off the victory. Although Gomes was carried off the White Hart Lane pitch after receiving five minutes of treatment, he didn't require hospital treatment and should be fit for Saturday's match at Fulham. At Sunderland, it took Blackburn striker Roque Santa-Cruz's arrival in the 62nd to break the deadlock within three minutes, heading home Martin Olsson's left cross from point-blank range. Blackburn went 2-up in the 70th, when Phil Bardsley turned Matt Derbyshire's cross, which had been pushed on by goalkeeper Marton Fulop, into his own net.

Despite Kenwyne Jones pulling one back inside a minute, Sunderland could find no way back.

First Published: Nov 13, 2008 10:40 IST