Japan's Kei Nishikori pulls out of Wimbledon with calf injury
The fifth-seeded Japanese player had to pull out before his second-round meeting with Santiago Giraldo of Colombia. Nishikori hurt his left calf at the grass-court tournament in Halle, Germany, two weeks ago, and aggravated it during a five-set victory over Simone Bolelli on Monday.Updated: Jul 01, 2015 20:28 IST
Unable to even take to Centre Court for his men's singles second round match, 5th-seeded Japanese Kei Nishikori withdrew from Wimbledon on Wednesday after fighting through a calf injury in the first round against Italy's Simone Bolelli.
The fifth-seeded Japanese player had to pull out before his second-round meeting with Santiago Giraldo of Colombia. Nishikori hurt his left calf at the grass-court tournament in Halle, Germany, two weeks ago, and aggravated it during a five-set victory over Simone Bolelli on Monday.
Nishikori said he felt too much pain during warm-ups to even try to play his second-round match, which had been scheduled for Centre Court. He described the injury as a "small tear" but was set to undergo more tests to determine the severity.
"It was hurting just walking and running, so I decide not to play today," he said.
It's a disappointing exit for Asia's top men's player, who reached the US Open final last year and had been set for a possible quarterfinal meeting with defending champion Novak Djokovic.
"I thought I was playing well on grass," Nishikori said. "So, very unfortunate to lose this chance."
Nishikori had to retire from the semifinals at Halle but came to Wimbledon hoping he'd be fit enough to play. He said the calf felt better before the match against Bolelli, but the injury flared up again on court.
"I thought it was really going to be OK. But last match in (the) fifth set I was hurting too much," he said. "I don't know how I fight through, but somehow I won. ... I thought it would get better in two days but, yeah, it didn't get better."
Nishikori, the US Open runner-up last year, didn't play from April 2009 until April 2010 after undergoing surgery on his right elbow. Last year, he was forced to quit his Madrid Masters final against Rafael Nadal with a back injury which was still affecting him by the time the French Open came around.
Nishikori now has a month off before his next tournament in Washington, DC, and said he expects to be fully fit in time for the series of hard-court tournaments in the US
"I think the injury should be okay for next tournaments," Nishikori said.
(With inputs from AFP and AP)
First Published: Jul 01, 2015 20:23 IST