I don’t want to just be a pretty face on TV: Krystle D’souza
After her roles in family dramas such as Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai (EHMMBH) and Ek Nayi Pehchaan (ENP), Krystle D’souza starred in the fantasy supernatural thriller Brahmarakshas, and most recently she wrapped up her sitcom, Belanwali Bahu (BB) after being aired for eight months. The actor admits it has been “a conscious decision to work across genres and challenge” herself.
Krystle says, “If you have confidence in yourself, you will be accepted in different genres. My most relatable shows were EHMMBH and ENP as they are modern stories but I also enjoyed tackling a demon in Brahmarakshas and doing comedy in BB. I feel, acting allows you to do things that you don’t get to do in real life. I don’t want to just be a pretty face on television. I want to act in shows which have characters that I have not played before. My endeavour is to play the lead in TV shows but I want to avoid doing a typical saas bahu serial.”
Talking about her experience of shooting a comedy show, she says, “I would work for ten hours and I would be laughing all day while shooting BB. It has been most fun doing this show. There was no headache at the end of the day due to stress, or no crying all day in front of the camera. Comedy came naturally to me but I can’t compare comedy and drama as I enjoy portraying high emotions on screen as well. I love both genres and I have got the chance to work with some brilliant talents till date.”
Having worked in a comedy setup now, Krystle realises that comedy shows take some getting used to. With a handful of comedy shows on mainstream channels on the tube, audiences usually prefer to watch dramas. She says, “When I signed on the show, I knew comedy is tough to sell but I was hoping to make a change and I am glad that our show worked with the audiences. But as an actor, my job is not to sell a show but to act to the best of my ability. I took it on BB for a selfish reason as I wanted a chance to portray my comic side on screen.”
Currently, Krystle is taking a break and will soon go on a vacation. She says, “I want to relax and travel a bit. I have been working back-to-back since last year. I am looking for something new and different. I want to do something that I have never done before, maybe on the web.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rakhi Sawant took to Instagram to share a video of herself doing various household chores. She complained that Bigg Boss made her a 'grihani (housewife)'.
- Kavita Kaushik called out a man for sending her abusive messages on Instagram. As he apologised to her, she exposed the ‘reality of sher dil men of our country’.
- Rahul Vaidya confirms he will marry Disha Parmar soon in an intimate ceremony. He had proposed marriage to her on national TV last year on her birthday.
- Eijaz Khan gave his girlfriend Pavitra Punia a cute shout-out as she reached one million followers on Instagram. See their adorable pictures and video.
- Kapil Sharma had shared a video of his one-year-old daughter Anayra, dancing to a Honey Singh song, on his Instagram Stories.
- Satish Shah chose to wait in line for three hours in the scorching heat to get the Covid-19 vaccine. As he tweeted about not using the VIP entrance, fans flooded the internet with Maya Sarabhai jokes.
- Kishwer Merchant said that her pregnancy was not planned. She is currently expecting her first child with her husband Suyyash Rai.
- Jankee Parekh felt a number of emotions as she left newborn son Sufi at home for some time, while she visited the dentist. See their first photo here.
- An FIR was lodged against Rakhi Sawant, her brother Rakesh Sawant and a person named Raj Khatri. Rakhi's brother has now reacted to it.
- Rubina Dilaik was forced to sell her house after not receiving her salary for a television show, despite repeated reminders to her producers.