I love making Paranthas, says Akki
Why did you choose a show like MasterChef?
I always enjoyed working with food; After all I started my career with it in Bangkok. And when Masterchef was offered to me I got an opportunity I grabbed it. Actually I can put it across aptly in Hindi saying "Masterchef in mujhe apni aukad dikhayi" by taking me back to my roots. Also it's a unique show and I like the concept of the show that's why I choose it.
What is it that you will bring to MasterChef?
I will bring a little bit of knowledge and fun to MasterChef.
Will we get a chance to see you cook on Master Chef India?
Yes of course. I will be seen making the best of dishes with some special guests in the show.
What is your favorite dish?
I love to eat all sorts of food and different cuisines from all over the world; however I particularly enjoy Thai green curry, and today in the menu I have specially cooked that for all of you. So it's for you to decide now whether I'm good at it or not.
Which is your favorite restaurant?
There are quite a lot of restaurants/hotels in India that I really like, some of them being JW Marriot, Wasabi, Four Seasons and Chandini Chowk mein khana is a different experience all together, since I have stayed there as well so its amazing.
Are you going to be the host or the Judge on MasterChef?
I am the host as well as the judge, however I am not a solo judge we also have Chef Ajay and Chef Kunal two stalwarts from the food industry who will be judging the contestants. As far as my role as judge is concerned I will be fair and just with all the contestants, as a host I will also support and encourage the contestants and bring in a lot of fun and energy to the show.
You have a lot of movies in the pipeline as well as this show, how do you plan on giving this show your full attention?
I don't have that many things on my plate at the moment. Like I said before I plan to be very hands on with this show and since we shoot everyday for the show of course I am going to give it my 100%.
After hosting an action show like Khatron ke Khiladi what are your expectations from Master Chef India? From doing stunts to cooking! Isn't it a huge shift?
I have always associated with shows that have interesting concepts. My previous show (KKK) was all about action & stunts which as you all know has always got me excited. Now with Master Chef India, I am returning to my roots after so many years. My two favorites - 'Cooking and Camera/Entertainment' are coming together and I am glad to be a part of it. Also it's the first time I am judging a reality show; hence the responsibilities of a judge are much more than that of a host of the show (ref. to KKK).
Will you be helping/guiding the participants? In what way?
My own story in very similar to the guys on the show. I can relate myself to them and will try and help them in all possible ways. Though my role here is also that of a 'charming game changer'. I will be increasing the level of difficulties to see that India get's its most versatile Master Chef.
What has been the criterion for selecting the participants for Masterchef India?
We had invited entries for the auditions from all those who had a basic passion for cooking. After rigorous auditions in many cities, we have short-listed 40 contestants who come from different backgrounds and are amateur chefs.
Have you seen the international versions of Master Chef? How different is Indian version compared to the UK and the Australian Masterchef?
Yes, I have seen the international series and I think it's an extremely interesting concept. The Indian version, obviously, will be customized to suit the preferences and expectations of the Indian audiences.
So how has your journey been from Khiladi to Bawarchi?
Everything is going nice but just to correct you here; I am not a Bawarchi but the MasterChef host and judge on the show (smiles)
So what are you planning to cook for Twinkle and Aarav on your B'day?
(laughs) I prefer going out for dinner with my family on my B'day. I do not cook at home that day
Is great cooking or good food the way to a woman's heart?
I guess a woman will be able to answer that more correctly than me.
What is the kind of dishes that you like to cook?
Main parothegali wala ladka hoon, and I love to make different types of parathas when it comes to Indian cuisine.
So what does Arav like to eat?
Mmmm…Arav likes Cheese Toast, Pasta, Macroni, Sandwiches etc.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rahul Vaidya wore a sweatshirt similar to one worn by Rubina Dilaik on Bigg Boss 14, as he took off on a romantic holiday with girlfriend Disha Parmar.
- Pavitra Punia had a quick response for the paparazzi, when they asked her why she wasn't accompanied by boyfriend Eijaz Khan at the airport.
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.
- Check out the latest video from Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik in which she is seen dancing with her husband Abhinav Shukla, to a folk song.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar left Mumbai for a quick getaway. While they did not disclose their destination, he shared a picture from their helicopter ride together.
- Rakhi Sawant's ailing mother has said that she is disappointed that Rakhi didn't win Bigg Boss 14, but would like to see her and her husband, Ritesh, participate in the next season of the show.
- Aly Goni took a video of Jasmin Bhasin doing her make-up for his birthday party on Thursday night. She responded by dropping heart-eyes emojis in the comments section.
- Nikki Tamboli opened up about steam-ironing her ex-boyfriend's boxers in Bigg Boss 14 and said that it was not an attempt to grab eyeballs. She added that she was 'genuinely' missing him.