Documentary on Antarctica to close Cannes Film Festival on May 24
A documentary will close the 68th edition of the Cannes Film Festival on May 24. Luc Jacquet (who helmed the Oscar-winning March of the Penguins) will present his Ice and the Sky at the Grand Theatre Lumiere in what is probably the first time ever that a documentary will do these honours.
Ice and the Sky talks about the scientific discoveries of Claude Lorius, who first went to the Antarctica in 1957 to study the region. In 1965, he was the first to warn about global warming and its effects on the planet. But he has never lost hope.
Today, though aged 82, he continues to dream. "I believe that men will be still up. Men will find the solidarity that will lead the people living on this planet to another type of behaviour", he says.
"Cannes is a huge opportunity for this movie", avers Luc Jacquet. "I am pleased and impressed. Showing this film in the world's largest movie festival will contribute to this huge challenge facing humanity and the future of the planet. My language is cinema. In different times, I would have made other films. But I make fierce cinema, political cinema, cinema that has no choice."
In another first, the festival will open on May 13 with the work of a woman director, Emmanuelle Bercot's La Tete Haute (Standing Tall/Heads Up). La Tete Haute talks about a juvenile delinquent, Malony, and the efforts of a social worker to try and reform the boy as he travels into adulthood. Rod Paradot will play Malony, along with such celebrated actors as Catherine Deneuve, Benoit Magimel and Sara Forestier.
In yet another first, the festival's main competition jury will be headed by two men -- brothers Joel and Ethan Coen.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.