Indian film Court in Venice official lineup
The Venice film festival will screen India's Court by Chaitanya Tamhane in the section titled Horizons. The festival will also screen the works of Lars Von Trier (including his controversial Nymphomaniac Vol II).world cinema Updated: Jul 25, 2014 18:05 IST
The world's oldest movie festival at Venice will screen India's Court by Chaitanya Tamhane in the section titled Horizons. This is the most sought after category after Competition and Outside Competition.
The 71st edition of the Venice International Film Festival announced its lineup in Rome on Thursday.
The other Indian movie, Bengal's Labour of Love, will play in Venice Days, a festival sidebar. This was revealed earlier.
Apart from these, the festival, running from August 27 to September 6, will screen the works of Lars Von Trier (his controversial Nymphomaniac Vol II in its uncut version that was not offered to Cannes in May) and James Franco, and stars such as Al Pacino, Willem Dafoe, Ethan Hawke, Bill Murray and Jennifer Aniston will walk the Red Carpet on Lido, an island off mainland Venice.
The prestigious Competition will include films by helmers as eminent as Fatih Akin (The Cut), Joshua Oppenheimer (The Look of Silence) and Roy Andersson (A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence).
Dafoe will essay Pier Paolo Pasolini, one of Italy's most controversial directors, in Abel Ferrara's biopic. This will explore the artist's final days in Rome before his tragic death.
French-Arab actor, Tahar Rahim (of The Prophet fame) will star as the lead in The Cut, Akin's last chapter in his trilogy of love, death and the devil.
In the Out of Competition basket, Venice will present Von Trier's creation, James Franco's The Sound and the Fury, Peter Bogdanovich's She's Funny That Way, Barry Levinson's The Humbling and Lisa Cholodenko's Olive Kitteridge.
Horizons will show Michael Almereyda's Cymbeline (with Milla Jovovich, Ed Harris, Dakota Johnson, Penn Badgley, John Leguizamo, Bill Pullman and Hawke). It is said to be a modern take on the Shakespeare play.
Venice will open with Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's Birdman or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance: A black comedy starring Michael Keaton as a washed-up actor struggling on Broadway to be taken seriously.Hong Kong's Ann Hui will close the festival with an out-of-competition screening of The Golden Era. The biopic traces the life of Xiao Hong, who wrote about Japanese imperialism in China.
A scene from Cymbeline
Here is the list:
* The Cut - Fatih Akin (Germany, France, Italy, Russia, Canada, Poland, Turkey)
* A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence - Roy Andersson (Sweden, Germany, Norway, France)
* 99 Homes - Ramin Bahrani (US)
* Tales - Rakhshan Bani E'temad (Iran)
* La rancon de la gloire - Xavier Beauvois (France)
* Hungry Hearts - Saverio Costanzo (Italy)
* Le fernier coup de marteau - Alix Delaporte (France)
* Manglehorn - David Gordon Green (US)
* Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu (US) OPENER
* Three Hearts - Benoit Jacquot (France)
* The Postman's White Nights - Andrei Konchalovsky (Russia)
* Il Giovane Favoloso - Mario Martone (Italy)
* Sivas - Kaan Mujdeci (Turkey)
* Anime Nere - Francesco Munzi (Italy, France)
* Good Kill - Andrew Niccol (US)
* Loin des Hommes - David Oelhoffen (France)
* The Look of Silence - Joshua Oppenheimer (Denmark, Finland, Indonesia, Norway, UK)
* Nob - Shinya Tsukamoto (Japan)
* Red Amnesia - Wang Xiaoshuai (China)
Out of competition
* Words with Gods - Guillermo Arriaga, Emir Kusturica, Amos Gitai. Mira Nair, Warwick Thornton, Hector Babenco, Bahman Ghobadi, Hideo Nakata, Alex de la Iglesia (Mexico. U.S.)
* She's Funny That Way - Peter Bogdanovich (US)
* Dearest - Peter Ho-sun Chan (Hong Kong, China)
* Olive Kitteridge - Lisa Cholodenko (US)
* Burying the Ex - Joe Dante (US)
* Perez - Edoardo De Angelis (Italy)
* La zuppa del demonio - Davide Ferrario (Italy)
* Tsili - Amos Gitai (Israel, Russia, Italy, France)
* La trattativa - Sabina Guzzanti (Italy)
* The Golden Era - Ann Hui (China, Hong Kong)
* Make Up - Im Kwontaek (South Korea)
* The Humbling - Barry Levinson (US)
* The Old Man of Belem - Manoel de Oliveira (Portugal, France)
* Italy in a Day - Gabriele Salvatores (Italy, UK)
* In the Basement - Ulrich Seidl (Austria)
* The Boxtrolls - Anthony Stacchi, Annable Graham (UK)
* Nyphomaniac Volume II (long version) Director's Cu - Lars Von Trier (Denmark, Germany, France, Belgium)
* Theeb - Naji Abu Nowar (Jordan, UAE Qatar, UK)
* Line of Credit - Salome Alexi (Georgia, Germany, France)
* Cymbeline - Michael Almereyda (US)
* Senza Nessuna Pieta - Michele Alhaique (Italy)
* Near Death Experience - Benoit Delepine, Gustave Kervern (France)
* Le Vita Oscena - Renato De Maria (Italy)
* Realite - Quentin Dupieux (France, Belgium)
* I Spy/I Spy - Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala (Austria)
* Hill of Freedom - Hong Sangsoo (South Korea)
* Bypass - Duane Hopkins (UK)
* The President - Moshen Makhmalbaf (Georgia, France, UK Germany)
* Your Right Mind - Ami Canaan Mann (US)
* Belluscone, una storia siciliana - Franco Maresco (Italy)
* Nabat - Elchin Musaoglu (Azerbaijan)
* Heaven Knows What - Josh Safdie, Ben Safdie (US, France)
* These Are the Rules - Ognjen Svilicic (Croatia, France, Serbia, Macedonia)
* Court - Chaitanya Tamhane (India)
(Gautaman Bhaskaran will cover the 71st Venice Film Festival)