Brazil's Bolsonaro to allow China's Huawei in 5G auctions: Report
Brazil's government will not seek to bar Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei Technologies Co Ltd from 5G network auctions slated for June this year, newspaper Estado de S. Paulo reported on Saturday, citing government and industry sources.
Financial costs potentially worth billions of dollars and the exit of ally President Donald Trump from the White House are forcing President Jair Bolsonaro to backtrack on his opposition to Huawei bidding to provide the next generation cellular network for carriers in Brazil, the paper said.
Like Trump, Bolsonaro opposes Huawei on the unproven grounds that it shares confidential data with China's Communist government.
But, with China being Brazil's largest trade partner and Huawei's ability to compete on price, he has faced resistance from industry and within his own government, including from Vice President Hamilton Mourao.
Estado de S. Paulo quoted Mourao as saying all companies that provide the necessary guarantees on respecting Brazil's national sovereignty and data protection will be allowed to offer 5G equipment in the country.
Last month, sources told Reuters that Bolsonaro's government was looking for a legal way to exclude Huawei from 5G networks in Brazil.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period and travellers will be required to show negative Covid-19 test results.
- Spain’s Constitutional Court on Monday rejected last-minute appeals by unions and women’s rights groups to hold any kind of street protest in the Spanish capital, following similar recent rulings by lower-level courts.
- Chandra Moore, 55, died Friday, Detroit police Sgt. Nicole Kirkwood said.
- The country’s collective investment scheme industry saw net annual inflows of 213 billion rand ($13.8 billion) in 2020, according to statistics released by the Association for Savings and Investment South Africa on Monday. That was the highest figure since 1965.
- The decision had been taken as a precaution, the National Office for Health System Safety (BASG) said late on Sunday, adding that there was "no evidence of a causal link" between the jab and the woman's death.