Chavez warns of closing 'anti-Govt' TV station

Updated on May 30, 2007 12:07 PM IST
Chavez has threatened to take action against television station if it incites violence and promotes demonstrations against his government.
HT Image
HT Image
IANS | By, Caracas

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has threatened to take action against another private television station if it incites violence and promotes student demonstrations against his government.

The warning came Tuesday as thousands of students were protesting for the second consecutive day in the capital Caracas over the removal on Sunday of Radio Caracas Television (RCTV) from terrestrial broadcasting.

Speaking at a public event in Vargas state, north of Caracas, Chavez said that TV station Globovision, one of the few channels that is still harshly anti-government, had called on viewers to kill him.

In his speech, Chavez recommended Globovision's bosses to take a tranquilliser and asked for the opposition to abandon their destabilization plans, warning that, if not, "I will apply my own tranquilliser."

Chavez noted that Information Minister William Lara would ask the Attorney General's Office to investigate a Globovision program.

Venezuela's oldest and most popular television station RCTV was shut down at midnight Sunday and replaced by a new government-controlled channel.

Chavez justified his government's decision not to renew RCTV's licence, saying that the popular TV station had supported a short-lived coup in April 2002, which removed him from power for two days.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • FILE - Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general of the World Health Organization, talks to the media regarding the coronavirus at the World Health Organization headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, 

    'Living with Covid doesn't mean....': WHO chief as deaths rise by 35% in 4 weeks

    With the pandemic in its third year, it has been repeated multiple times by leaders and experts that the world has to learn to live with Covid. But in a warning against dropping guards, WHO chief Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus has said that this does not mean that “we pretend it's not there”. “It means we use all the tools we have to protect ourselves, and protect others,” he said.

  • FILE PHOTO: Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan during an interview.

    Pak ‘descending into Banana Republic': Imran Khan after aide's arrest

    Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan further accused the ruling PML-N's Nawaz Sharif, her daughter Maryam, JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman and PPP leader Asif Zardari for targeting the state institutions 'in the worst way possible', and still getting away 'without even a hint of a reprimanPakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader Shahbaz Gill, a close aide of Imran Khanan, was arrested last week in Islamabad for allegedly making controversial remarks against the Pakistan Army on a private TV channel, local media outlet GeoNews reported.

  • FILE - A sign for monkeypox vaccinations is shown at a vaccination site.

    Mutation behind monkeypox spread? WHO’s reply; Roman numerals in clades' names

    The world saw 7,500 new monkeypox cases last week, a 20 per cent surge compared to the previous week, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday, giving the latest updates on the virus that has triggered concern globally. With the latest spike, the global monkeypox tally has passed the 35,000-mark and 12 deaths have so far been reported; the virus has spread to 92 countries and territories.

  • Parwati Sunar, 27, sings the national anthem of Nepal while attending an assembly at Jeevan Jyoti secondary school in Punarbas, Kanchanpur district, southwest Nepal.

    Nepali woman's quest to learn takes her back to school with son

    A Nepali mother of two, Parwati Sunar finds herself attending the same school as her son after returning to an education system she fled at the age of 15, when she eloped with a man seven years her senior. "I think I should not have left my school," she said, explaining the desire to catch up on the lessons she missed, having had her first child at 16.

  • The man told police he lived in the home with his girlfriend.

    A man broke into a home in US. He wanted to have bath, say cops

    A Minnesota man who allegedly broke into an occupied Wisconsin home last week and locked the 29-year-old Minnesota man in a bathroom, St. Paul never had a chance to come clean. Authorities say the 29-year-old Minnesota man, St. Paul was filling up the tub when Chippewa Falls police who answered the call of a stranger in the home ordered him to come out of the bathroom. The man told police he lived in the home with his girlfriend.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, August 18, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now