Nepal parties want more time to agree on govt. formation
Failing to arrive at a consensus within the Friday deadline, political parties in Nepal sought five more days from President Ram Baran Yadav to form the next government.
Leaders of the three major parties—Maoists, Nepali Congress and Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist Leninist) however claimed that they have reached an agreement on power sharing.
The three parties have agreed to support a government led by anyone among them. But there’s no agreement yet on who would lead it.
Yadav had asked the parties to select a prime minister through consensus within January 21 midnight. But, with all three big players seeking the post, no compromise was reached.
Agreeing to the request made by NC, Maoists and CPN (UML), the other 25 smaller parties in parliament also urged the President to extend the government formation deadline.
Nepal now faces a situation similar to last year when political parties failed to form a government through consensus after resignation of Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal in June.
It led to 16 rounds of unsuccessful voting in parliament without any candidate securing majority votes. The cycle ended earlier this month with lone NC candidate Ram Chandra Poudel withdrawing.
If the parties again fail to reach consensus within the extra time, another round of voting to elect the next prime minister is likely.
A five member parliamentary committee formed to amend the rules to make PM election more result oriented has also failed to make much headway due to different views of the three major parties.
Deadlock over government formation has affected completion of the peace process and drafting of the new constitution—both of which have to be completed within the extended May 28 deadline.
It was a morning of celebration for a Chicago suburb when suddenly dozens of bullets were fired, followed by a pandemonium and chaos in the streets amid screams. Shocking visuals and videos have emerged on social media. One of the clips, which is particularly disturbing, captures the moment when the attacker opened fire from a rooftop. Another video caught the confusion among onlookers. One man is accompanied by a toddler.
The US law enforcement agencies on Tuesday announced they had captured a suspect named Robert Crimo in a shooting on Monday that killed six people and wounded more than 36 at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park. Those wounded ranged between the ages of 8 to 85. Who is Robert Crimo - person of interest in Highland Park shooting 1.
Robert E Crimo III, a person of interest linked to a shooting in the United States that killed six people and wounded more than 36, has been held. This is the latest incident of gun violence rearing its ugly head in the country. Here are top updates on the latest shooting incident in the US: 1. In his first reaction, hours after the shooting, US president Joe Biden said he was shocked.
A county in China's eastern Anhui province is carrying out daily nucleic acid tests on 763,000 locked down residents while mass tests have been ordered for other areas, as authorities scramble to contain a fresh surge in Covid-19 cases in the country. For China, it will have to be a pragmatic balance between its avowed zero-Covid strategy - marked by lockdowns, large-scale testing campaigns and strict isolation protocols - and allowing normal economic activity.
President Vladimir Putin on Monday ordered Russian troops to press their offensive deeper into the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine after Moscow's forces seized the strategic city of Lysychansk. In a sign there would be no let-up in the fighting and that Russia now had its eyes on the entire Donetsk region, Putin told Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu that troops stationed there must continue their operations.