Pak opp'n leader alleges threat from Nawaz
Pakistani opposition leader Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi has said that former premier and PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif and his brother Shahbaz Sharif should be held responsible if he or his family were threatened or attacked.
The new government had reduced his security despite fears of terrorist attacks on both him and his family, said Elahi, the leader of opposition in the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
The new Punjab Chief Minister Dost Muhammad Khosa had on Saturday criticised Elahi, the former provincial chief minister, for extravagant spending of public money on security at the chief minister's secretariat.
The PML-N has formed government in the politically crucial Punjab province after defeating Elahi's PML-Q party in polls held in February.
Elahi told a news conference on Sunday that he had been advised by Punjab's home secretary to use bulletproof vehicles as his family and he were under threat. Elahi said he had returned all but one of these vehicles to the government when his term ended last year.
Khosa has said that the new chief minister's secretariat building, built at considerable expense, will be converted into an information technology university for women. Elahi said the secretariat was government-owned and the Sharifs should donate 300 acres of their own land if they wanted to set up a university.
Elahi said he and his cousin, former premier Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, will contribute money if the Sharif brothers announced they would set up a university on 300 acres of land from the 1,000 acres they possess at Raiwind near Lahore.
Khosa had also criticised Elahi on Saturday for allegedly operating a Rs 10 million unaudited "secret fund". Elahi denied this allegation and called it "baseless".