Suspect in China serial blasts died in one of the explosions
The 33-year-old suspect behind the serial parcel blasts in a south China county city on Wednesday was killed in one of the explosions, state media has reported.Updated: Oct 04, 2015 00:40 IST
The 33-year-old suspect behind the serial parcel blasts in a south China county city on Wednesday was killed in one of the explosions, state media has reported.
Police had earlier identified him as Wei Yinyong, a resident of the Liucheng county in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous region who either himself planted some the bombs or hired street vendors to deliver them to at least 13 sites across the location where the explosions were triggered, killing at least 10 people and injuring more than 50.
It has now emerged that Wei was himself killed in one of the blasts.
“Police in the southern Chinese city of Liuzhou (in Liucheng county) on Friday identified the suspect of serial blasts on September 30 and confirmed he had been killed in one of the blasts,” a state media report quoting the official news agency, Xinhua, said.
Wei was identified as one of those killed through DNA evidence collected from one of the blast sites; the report did not reveal the location of the blast sit.
“Police believed Wei committed the crime to revenge some villagers and institutions that he had disputes within the quarrying business,” the report added.
According to a separate report in the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post, Wei was “allegedly angry with the local government for failure to intervene in a dispute with villagers over a stone quarry he had an interest in”.
“Wei had been manager of the Zhihao Stone Quarry since its opening in 2003, and in 2010 took out bank loans along with the quarry’s founder in order to buy more than a million Yuan worth of equipment to upgrade the quarry,” the SCMP report said.
First Published: Oct 03, 2015 23:27 IST