Delhi: Asked to pay challan for riding bike without helmet, woman kicks cop
The incident was reported from South-west Delhi area after the duo, Praveen (28) and Sonam (26), were stopped by three policemen for riding a bike without a helmet.delhi Updated: May 31, 2017 11:43 IST
Two people — a woman and her live-in partner — were arrested on Monday afternoon after the woman allegedly grabbed the collar of an on-duty traffic police officer and kicked another sub-inspector.
The incident was reported from Delhi Cantonment area after the duo, Praveen (28) and Sonam (26), was stopped by three policemen for riding a bike without a helmet.
Police said that the bike was stopped around 2.30pm by constable Amit (28), who asked the duo to produce their driving license and documents of the vehicle’s registration.
The accused then refused to cooperate and instead began arguing and entered into a scuffle with the cops. Police said Praveen first verbally abused the cops. When the officers asked them to pay a challan, Sonam grabbed constable Amit by his collar and tore his uniform, said the investigating officer.
The constable then dialled 100 and asked that a female police officer be sent to the spot for assistance.
Investigators said that when a woman sub-inspector arrived from Delhi Cantonment police station, Sonam allegedly kicked her hard in the abdomen. The sub-inspector collapsed on the ground and was rushed to a local hospital.
An FIR was later registered based on the complaint of constable and both Sonam and Praveen arrested. The duo has been booked under sections 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The duo was produced before a duty magistrate who remanded them to judicial custody till June 9.
A senior police officer claimed that Praveen had started the altercation with the cops after the policemen on duty seized the bike for lack of relevant documents.
“Praveen attempted to grab one of the traffic cops by his collar, but was stopped. Later, Sonam became aggressive and it got difficult to handle her as there were no woman constable with us. She grabbed constable Amit’s collar and pulled it so hard that the buttons of the uniform fell out,” the officer said.
The woman sub-inspector returned to the police station after the incident. But she complained of abdominal pain after a few hours and had to be rushed to a hospital in Palam.
- A traffic police constable suffered a broken nose after he was allegedly beaten up by a group of persons including a lawyer in the premises of a Delhi court in August, 2016. The constable had issued a challan to the lawyer for driving in a wrong lane near Delhi Gate in June.
- A traffic constable was allegedly thrashed by three people including a woman in Connaught Place after he asked them to move their car to clear traffic congestion in December 2016.
- Two brothers were booked for allegedly assaulting and tearing off the uniform of a traffic constable posted in southeast Delhi’s Lajpat Nagar. The accused were driving a car and were flagged down by policemen as the driver had been talking on phone. The incident took place in July, 2016.
- Five people were arrested for allegedly attacking two cops in March, 2016, in south east Delhi’s Badarpur. One of the assailants had stabbed a head constable in the stomach and leg with knife.
- A constable was attacked with chilli powder and bricks when he tried to stop seven suspicious looking men in south west Delhi’s Bindapur area in December, 2016. The incident was captured on CCTV.
- A policeman was allegedly stabbed in his stomach and thigh by a man after the victim and his colleague had gone to attend a PCR call of quarrel in South East Delhi’s Molarband area. The incident happened in the wee hours of November 1, 2016 after police received a call of a brawl taking place in Molarband’s Mohanbaba Nagar.
- A head constable was allegedly beaten up, his uniform ripped off and the PCR van he was using damaged when he tried to stop two men from verbally abusing a victim in west Delhi’s Nilothi Extension on November 27, 2016.
- A gang of robbers fired and wounded a constable when two police cars blocked their vehicle in northwest Delhi’s Rohini area on August, 2016.