Juvenile who killed boy for ransom, held for another murder | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Juvenile who killed boy for ransom, held for another murder

delhi Updated: Feb 05, 2016 12:16 IST
Karn Pratap Singh
Karn Pratap Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Representational Image

A 17-year-old dance trainer, apprehended in September last year with his girlfriend-cum-dance partner for kidnapping and killing a 13-year-old schoolboy, has been held for allegedly killing a 67-year-old woman in south Delhi’s BK Dutt colony last month.

The juvenile killed the elderly woman on January 31, barely 48 hours after counselling by an expert and two months after his release from the correction home for the murder of the schoolboy.

The woman, Mithilesh Jain, was murdered metres from the Jor Bagh Karbala, which is guarded 24X7 by at least 100 policemen. The juvenile entered Jain’s house on the pretext of having a glass of water, attacked her with a blunt object and then strangled her in the kitchen.

The juvenile was handed over his parents after they deposited the surety for his release from the correction home. His girlfriend-cum-partner in crime was also released on the grounds that they both wanted to pursue their studies. This time he took to crime apparently to pay for taking part in a popular TV dance reality show.

Fully aware of the legal protection for juveniles in conflict with the law, the teenager showed no hurry in leaving the crime scene. He inspected the kitchen and took food and beverages kept in the refrigerator as the woman’s body lay on the floor, police said.

After finding the keys, he opened the cupboards, took out the jewellery and cash and locked them. While leaving the house, he picked up Jain’s iPad and her two mobile phones -- gifted to her by daughter and son settled in the US and Singapore, respectively.

The crime went undetected for almost 24 hours and discovered only when an employee of Jain’s son-in-law, Ashok Aggarwal went to the house to get the keys to Aggarwal’s office on the first floor. He found Jain dead in the kitchen with blood oozing out of her nose and mouth.

Jain’s death became a mystery for the local police who for the next three days considered it a case of natural death and allegedly hushed up requests for an investigation by her family who were suspecting foul play. The local police kept on insisting that she died of a cardiac arrest without even waiting for her autopsy report.

They hurriedly registered a case of murder for robbery after her autopsy report confirmed that Jain had been smothered.

As soon as the police brass got the tip, they put together a professional team of investigators.

On Thursday around 2 am, the team apprehended the juvenile from his Faridabad home while he was asleep. His involvement was verified with the help of electronic surveillance which confirmed that he had used Jain’s robbed mobile phone for a brief period. The teenager said he easily gained entry into Jain’s house as he knew her. His mother had earlier worked at Jain’s house as a domestic help.