Riot over bus mishap claims a life in Delhi | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Riot over bus mishap claims a life in Delhi

delhi Updated: Dec 25, 2015 00:46 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Metro Vihar

View of an accident site. Accident caused death of a kid on spot, in Narela, New Delhi.(HT Photo)

A three-year-old boy was crushed under the wheels of a school bus, triggering violent clashes between angry locals and the police, and leading to the death of a street vendor allegedly in police firing in outer Delhi’s Metro Vihar near Shahbad Dairy area on Thursday morning.

As many as 17 policemen were injured, some of them critically, four buses damaged and a police motorcycle torched in the violence that lasted more than three hours. Police said the locals severely beat up the driver who was allegedly using his mobile phone while driving and attempted to set the vehicle on fire.

It took the deployment of more than 100 policemen to bring the situation under control. Senior police offers, including special commissioner of police (law and order) Deepak Mishra, were camping in the area to prevent any further incidents of violence.

Police said three-year-old Aditya was mowed down by the speeding bus while on way to his grandmother’s roadside shop at around 8.30am. Locals who witnessed the accident caught the driver, Mukesh, and severely beat him up before calling the police. Around 30 children and two teachers who were in the bus were asked by the crowd to leave.

Police said they tried to remove the bus from the accident site but were stopped by some locals who tried to set it on fire. Clashes broke out and the police resorted to lathicharge and firing tear gas shells. “The protesters were dispersed but a bigger crowd returned at around 11am. They started pelting stones at 20 policemen deployed in the area and chased them to the railway crossing 300 metres away. The police fired tear gas shells and bullets in self-defence,” said an officer.

One of the bullets reportedly hit Wasim, a 22-year-old street vendor, and he died on the spot. Further angered by his death, the crowd torched a police motorcycle, following which a 100-strong police force arrived in the area and brought the situation under control.

Special CP (law and order) Mishra said some locals were detained and charged with rioting and preventing a public servant from discharging his duty. An inquiry was also initiated by the local sub-divisional magistrate.

Tata Tea’s Anthem of apathy
Partnered feature