A woman and her two daughters, one of whom was pregnant died in a fire that broke out in the jhuggis in north-west Delhi’s Jahangirpuri. Three others sustained burn injuries. Fire officials said a cylinder blast in one of the jhuggis had caused the fire.
Police said at around 9.30 pm on Tuesday, there was a cylinder blast inside Mithelesh’s jhuggi. Mithelesh along with her two daughters Kavita,20, and Anjali,15, were charred to death. Kavita was three months pregnant, relatives told police. Anjali’s husband who was also inside the house managed to escape.
The cylinder, police said was leaking. When Mithelesh went to the kitchen area to prepare dinner she failed to detect the gas leakage and lit a matchstick. This led to a blast and the fire engulfed the entire jhuggi. The three trapped inside were charred to death.
“The locals ran to rescue the women, but the fire spread very quickly and no one could enter the jhuggi. The locals then made a PCR call and informed the fire department. Help, locals said, reached then within 20 minutes. The fire team doused the flames in half an hour and pulled out the charred bodies from inside the jhuggi. All three woman sustained 100 percent burn wounds. Their bodies have been sent for postmortem examination,” a senior police officer said.
The three jhuggis were charred to the ground including the valuables. Locals said that the family had saved up around Rs 30,000 cash to repay their debt which was also burnt. “The woman had saved cash, clothes and jewellery for her daughter’s wedding that was completely charred. The father has nowhere to go now,” a local said. He added, “We have previously complained about the gas agency delivering gas cylinder with loose nobs. Earlier there was another incident of gas leak in the area and we had complained to the agency but they still send cylinder with ruptured nobs,” he added.