Simple workouts to tackle health hazards of sedentary lifestyle
Many of us keep long working hours and erratic lifestyle habits. Hence, it is an absolute must that we take care of your health and exercise. Here are some useful and easy office workout exercises.health and fitness Updated: Sep 20, 2016 12:36 IST
Usually stuck at work for long hours? Your sedentary lifestyle will definitely ruin your fitness. So, in between all the deadlines and pending work, make sure you do some stretching exercises at your workplace, suggests an expert.
Gaurav Dawar, Fitness Expert and CEO of FlabThugs, lists down some easy workouts.
Workout exercises while standing:
1. Try to walk around your office or walk the stairs to stretch your legs, which is the best workout. You can also try taking the widest step and lunge forward.
2. Raise your heels off the floor and slowly lower them. It will help in relaxing your calf.
3. Stand in front of your chair and repeat sitting down and standing up 10 times. You can do this at least three times in a day.
4. You can stand in front of a desk or other piece of furniture which is comfortable for you to hold on to for balancing yourself, lean on a sturdy piece of furniture and gradually push your body off it in a sort of standing push up.
5. Rest your back against a wall and move your feet away from the wall. The wall should only be supporting the weight of your back and your knees should be bent. Hold the position as long as possible and repeat it.
6. Attempt to do jumping jacks by raising your right arm and at the same time tapping your left toe to the side. And keep your right foot on the floor. Try for alternate sides for a full minute. Avoid this if there is weakness in the knees.
7. You can also do chair squats by lifting your rear end off your seat and hold for a few seconds.
Workout exercises while sitting:
1. Move your toes by lifting them while keeping your heels firmly on the ground; it works very well while seated.
2. Most of the football players practise rapidly tapping their feet in place, simulating a run. You can also do the same thing while seated, for 30 seconds at a go.
3. While sitting in your chair, lift your left leg a few inches off of the floor. Keep your knee bent at a 90 degree angle and hold the position as long as you are comfortable.
4. Do leg extensions exercise while sitting in your chair, extend your right leg until it is level with your hip and hold as long as you are comfortable and then relax it. Do it the same for left leg.
5. Just pull your shoulders as high as you can and roll them forward and backward ten times throughout the day. This is a shoulder shrug exercise.
6. Your fingers are busy in typing on computers in that case make fists, spread your fingers and bend your fingers.
7. You can also raise your shoulder to your ear, hold and then relax. Repeat with the alternating shoulders.
8. Also try abdominal stretch while sitting on the edge of your chair and stretch both your arms out in front. At the same time, keep your back straight, contract your abdominal muscles. Relax and repeat the same.
9. Neck rotation is very important when sitting for long. Drop your chin and roll your neck. Raise your chin up and bend your neck to each side.