Watch: Security forces take on Maoists during Operation Prahar in Chhattisgarh
Police believe Maoist commander Madvi Hidma was hit by a bullet during an encounter during Operation Prahar.india Updated: Jun 29, 2017 13:33 IST
A video footage of an encounter between security forces and Maoists in Chhattisgarh’s south Sukma last week surfaced on Thursday. The encounter took place during anti-Maoist drive named Operation Prahar.
Security forces and Maoists exchanged fire at separate locations during the drive between June 23 and June 24, said police. Three district reserve guards were killed in action, but police claimed they inflicted massive losses on Maoists.
“Security forces managed to kill at least 20 Maoists,” said DM Awasthi, Chhattisgarh’s special director general of police (Naxal operations).
Police believe Maoist commander Madvi Hidma was hit by a bullet during an encounter during Operation Prahar.
Hidma is accused of planning and executing a string of attacks on security forces in the past decade that have caused at least 200 casualties – including an ambush in April that killed 25 paramilitary personnel.
Chief minister Raman Singh praised the security forces and said more drives on the lines of Operation Prahar would be carried out in Maoist-affected zones of the state.