Theatre, music, food: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24
1) Theatre: Mumbai vs Mumbai: Monologues by a megalomaniac TV anchor, a housewife turned Kali devotee, an old man in a car lost in on the road, and a meditative man standing by a silent ocean in the middle of the night, capture the conflict and support Mumbai as a city offers its residents.
Where: The Cuckoo Club, Pali Hill, Bandra (W); Call: 96199 62969
Tickets: Rs 300; When: 8pm
2) Food and drink: Kebab Festival: An object theatre piece, the production follows the happening at a roadside dhabha populated by brinjals. The story reflects on the social order and exclusivity of the caste system in India.
Where: Copper Chimney (all outlets); For reservations, visit copperchimney.in
Price: Rs 1,400 onward; When: 11pm onward
3) Comedy: 40 Shades of Grey (Hair): Comedians Cyrus Broacha and Kunal Vijayakar come together to tell the funny stories of Indian men in their forties.
Where: Jamshed Bhabha Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Tickets: Rs 500 onward; When: 7.30pm
4) Music: Classical Nights: Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan will perform classical compositions by Amir Khusro from the 13th century.
Where: The Royal Opera House, Girgaon; Call: 2369 0511
Tickets: Rs 300 onward; When: 7.30pm
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 25
4) Theatre: Dhaaba: An object theatre piece, the production follows a series of events at a roadside dhabha populated by brinjals. The story reflects on the social order and exclusivity of the caste system in India.
Where: Brewbot, off Link Road, Andheri (W); Call: 3969 8091
Tickets: Rs 300 onward; When: 8.30pm
5) Comedy: The Ankit and Avinash Show: The two-man comedy show, starring Avinash Verma and Ankit Challa, is inspired by the American TV show Whose Line is it Anyway? An improv comedy routine sees the duo take inspiration for themes and situations from the audience.
Where: The Jeff Goldberg Studio, Hill Road, Bandra (W); Call: 75069 06927
Entry: Rs 300; When:8pm
6) Music: What’s Brewing in Bandra: Mumbai-based musicians Sandunes (real name Sanaya Ardeshir) and OX7GEN (real name Aditya Ashok) will come together to collaborate their signature styles – electronica with a mix of piano, and deep house combined with drums, respectively.
Where: Bonobo, off Linking Road, Bandra (W); Call: 2605 5050
Entry: Free; When: 9.30pm
7) Workshop: Japanese Kitchen: Noted chef Anjali Pathak will demonstrate the basics of cooking Japanese cuisine. Know all about making authentic dishes such as chicken katsu, tonkatsu sauce, green bean salad with sesame dressing and traditional Japanese pickles.
Where: Flavour Diaries, SV Road, Khar (W); Call: 98201 43404
Tickets: Rs 3,500; When: 3pm to 5pm
8) Music: Brotherhood: The Hip Hopera: Theatre meets hip hop in this one-man show that uses music and physical theatre to tell a story of two brothers. Canadian musician Sébastien Heins combines hip hop with R & B, reggae and dancehall genres to pay a homage to his Jamaican roots.
Where: Sitara Studio, Lower Parel; Call:2422 1666
Tickets: Rs 500; When: 4.30pm and 8am
9) Festival: The Woofs and Hoofs Carnival and Fundraiser: Spend the day with your pets as you raise funds to fight animal trade and cruelty. On the itinerary are games that you can participate in with your pets, and a special menu curated for dogs.
Where: Royal Western Turf Club, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai; Call: 2307 1396
Entry: Free; When: 4pm to 8pm
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 26
10) Food and drink: Tapped: Indulge in craft beers produced by noted breweries across Mumbai and Pune, including Gateway Brewing Co, White Owl Brewery, Doolally Craft Beers and Effingut Brewerkz.
Where: Razzberry Rhinoceros, Juhu Tara Road, Mumbai; Call: 6693 8230
Tickets: Rs 500; When: 12pm to 10pm
Read more: Your ultimate guide to craft beer in Mumbai