Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 21, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Accenture techie stabbed to death in Bengaluru

The DCP has ruled out robbery as a motive for the crime.

bengaluru Updated: Oct 10, 2017 12:05 IST
Vikram Gopal
Vikram Gopal
Hindustan Times, Bengaluru
Accenture,Accenture techie,Bengaluru
Accenture Logo

A software engineer at Accenture was found murdered near the Chocolate Factory in Bengaluru on Monday, the police said.

Pranay Mishra, 28, from Odisha, was stabbed four times by unknown assailants while he was en route his partner’s house in the wee hours of Monday, the police added.

Mishra, who had moved to the city from Bhubaneswar in 2014, was staying at a rented house in Suddaguntepalya, which is around one km from the spot where he was found murdered. After attending a party at a friend’s house, Mishra was dropped home by a friend at 2.30 am Monday, according to the police.

The police said he called his partner, who also hails from Bhubaneswar, around 3 am and informed her that he would visit her house. While heading there on his two-wheeler, Mishra was waylaid by his assailants who stabbed him four times in the chest and the abdomen, the police explained.

Around 4 am, a passerby saw Mishra lying in a pool of blood and rushed him to a hospital, where he was declared brought dead.

MB Boralingaiah, deputy commissioner of police (southeast subdivision), said the assailants had not stolen any valuables from Mishra as his wallet and mobile phone were found in his shirt and pant pockets, ruling out robbery as a motive for the crime.

Boralingaiah told HT that it appeared that Mishra had been followed to the spot. “We have found only one CCTV camera at the scene of (the) crime which was not working. But we think the scene was selected as it is isolated and he might have been followed to the spot by his assailants”.

Additionally, Boralingaiah said the spot where Mishra was murdered was not on the route to his partner’s house. “It is a significant diversion from the route,” he said.

Police said Mishra’s partner had called him repeatedly at night after he failed to turn up at her house when the passersby informed her about the incident.

First Published: Oct 10, 2017 08:15 IST