Debt-ridden farmer in Raisen shoots self after crop-loss
A debt-ridden famer in MP’s Raisen district committed suicide by shooting himself on Sunday.
With Sunday’s incident, the number of farmers who have committed suicide due to crop loss went up to 20 over the past one month in the state.
The farmer, Rahul Singh, 25, a resident of Sukra village in Raisen district, shot himself with a licensed gun owned by his father.
He had reportedly borrowed Rs 20 lakh from different banks and money lenders and was aiming to return it later this year.
He had sown soybean and black gram (urad) in his 25-acre land, but lost it all to crop damage.
According to police sources, Singh went to his farm on Sunday afternoon and shot himself after returning home.
His family rushed him to a hospital in Gairatganj, where he was declared brought dead.
Singh was the only son. The family members said that Singh was upset since his crop got damaged.
His father Nirbhay Singh said, “He was anxious about paying back the debt he had accumulated from banks and some money lenders.”
Sub-divisional officer of police BKS Parihar said a case had been registered and investigation was on.
“Family of the deceased claimed that he committed suicide as he was upset over crop loss. We have started investigation to confirm the family’s claim,” Parihar told HT.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Balveer Singh Yadav, 45, a resident of Bharrad village of Madhya Pradesh's Morena district had been arrested in 2006 in connection to a murder case.
- The victim died on Saturday while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- Yadav has shown through for his commitment while managing the crowd of patients and visitors at the hospital without taking a single leave since March 2020, said a hospital official
- The accused confessed to their crime and said they killed Sahu over a dispute over ₹5 crore that the deceased was demanding from Naresh Gurjar, one of the main accused, said police.
- A senior BJP leader said it was unfortunate that Congress leaders continue to insult women but the Congress high command remains silent.
- The DGP stated eloping with boyfriends as one of the reasons behind the disappearance of girls and women in urban areas.
- People found ancient coins on the bank of river in Madhya Pradesh's Shivpura village a few days ago.
- Covaxin is India’s first indigenous Covid-19 vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech.