Sarpanch, two relatives die after drinking contaminated water in MP
A woman sarpanch and her two relatives died after drinking contaminated water near Ratlam in Madhya Pradesh, officials said on Monday.
Ravdi police station inspector Ram Singh Rathore said the deceased were identified as Maya Bhuria (32), the sarpanch of Selaj Maida, her mother-in-law Devli Bai Bhuria (65) and the sarpanch’s niece Seema Bhuria (16).
Devli Bai Bhuria died on Sunday evening, while Maya Bhuria and Seema Bhuria breathed their last on Monday during treatment, he said.
Kesri Bai Bhuria (40), who is the sister of the sarpanch’s husband, is being treated in the district hospital where her condition is improving, the police officer said.
Rathore said samples of the contaminated water have been sent for laboratory tests and the bodies have been sent for post-mortem.
All three drank water from the same ‘chatti’ (earthen water pot) kept in their home in the tribal-dominated Selaj Maida village and fell sick, collector Ruchika Chauhan said.
Chauhan said district panchayat chief executive officer (CEO) Somesh Mishra, chief medical and health officer (CM&HO) P Nanaware and district hospital civil surgeon Anand Chandelkar have reached the village for an on the spot assessment.
She said the water in the ‘chatti’ was found to be too muddy. However, it was not yet known how the water in the pot got contaminated.
A thorough probe is underway in the matter, said additional superintendent of police Rajesh Sahay.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- An employee of a nearby petrol pump said he heard a blast-like sound and when he reached the accident spot, he saw the car in a bad shape, said a police officer.
- The decision was taken during a high-level Covid review meeting held on Monday after a new wave of Covid-19 cases was reported from Indore.
- Madhya Pradesh became the first state which is ready with a roadmap to make the state self-reliant, said the Governor.
- Dentist Tripathi confessed to his crime after police found the tower location of Vibha’s mobile matched his at the same time on December 14, the day Vibha vanished.
- During his visit to Sidhi, the CM spent a night at the circuit house and took notice of the unhygienic conditions.