Tiger found dead in Satpura reserve, 12th this year in Madhya Pradesh
The carcass of the feline had injury marks and a dead Gaur (Indian bison) near it. Forest officials believe the tiger probably had a fight with another Gaur or with another tiger.bhopal Updated: May 07, 2017 10:37 IST
The carcass of a four-year-old tiger was found in Madhya Pradesh’s Satpura reserve on Saturday, making it the 12th feline death in the state this year.
- May 6: Four-year-old tiger dies in Satpura Tiger Reserve.
- April 27: Third tiger cub reared with the help of a ‘dummy toy tigress mother’ at Bandhavgarh dies of Parvo virus infection
- April 23: Two tiger cubs being reared with the help of a ‘dummy toy tigress mother’ at Bandhavgarh die of Parvo virus infection
- April 22: Partially-paralysed tiger shot using a ‘vintage’ Bharmar gun in Betul, dies in Bhopal
- April 21: Nearly a-year-old tiger dies in Balaghat district’s Katangi forest area
- April 11: A three-year-old male tiger dies in -Dubari Tiger Reserve in Shahdol district
- April 1: A tiger is run over by a train between the Budhni and Mid-Ghat area in Sehore district
- March 11: Less-than-a-year-old tiger dies in Kanha tiger reserve
- Feb 27: A tiger is found dead near a pool of water near the rail track in Midghat area of Sehore on the Bhopal-Hoshangabad rail track
- Jan 22: A 2-3 year male tiger is killed in Bandhavgarh tiger reserve
- Jan 19: A ten-year old tigress dies of electrocution near Sanjay-Dubari Tiger Reserve in Shahdol district
The field staff spotted the carcass in the core of the reserve, Ashok Mishra, joint director Satpura Tiger Reserve told HT.
“The body had injury marks. There was a kill of Gaur (Indian bison) near the carcass. The post mortem showed the tiger had suffered external and internal injuries. The tiger probably died after having a fight with another Gaur or it died fighting with another tiger,” he said.
In a similar incident, in the third week of January this year, a buffalo killed a tiger cub in the buffer zone of Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve.
This is the eighth feline death in Madhya Pradesh since April 1, and the 12th this year. Since January 2015, the state lost 53 tigers.
According to the last tiger census conducted in January 2015, the tiger numbers had increased in MP from 257 in 2010 to 308 in 2015.
In 2016, MP recorded nearly one-third of the tiger deaths (30 of 97) in the country, the highest for any state.
Located 210 km from Bhopal in Hoshangabad district, the Satpura reserve is spread over 524 sqkm.
First Published: May 07, 2017 10:37 IST