Kangana Ranaut reveals a man pinched her butt in public, says women have to be responsible for their safety
Kangana Ranaut has opened up about the #MeToo movement in India and how it changed the landscape, ahead of the release of her film, Manikarnika. Kangana plays Rani Laxmibai in the film, that she has also co-directed.
Kangana, who had accused her Queen director Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour earlier, says people and their attitudes have changed after influential celebs were accused during the #MeToo movement. “People will think twice now because of certain things that were reported. Earlier, everyone knew about some five-six names, but no one was doing anything about it. Today, they are out there exposed. Though that may not seem enough, it has some significance,” she said.
Supporting Rani Mukerji’s stance that women should be taught martial arts to keep themselves safe, Kangana said a woman needs to be responsible for her own safety. She said it was sad that Rani was trolled for her comments.
“Maybe Rani was not able to articulate herself, but if you see the way she leads her life, she is the epitome of women’s empowerment. Anyone who knows her wouldn’t find her weak or timid. There are people who talk a lot, but they don’t necessarily live up to it,” Kangana said.
During journalist Rajeev Masand’s roundtable, Rani had said that “it is important for women to believe in themselves and say that if they don’t want it to happen, it will not happen”. When actor Deepika Padukone, also a part of the discussion, had said not everyone is constructed that way, Rani had said, “Those are the women we need to talk to and tell them, you guys need to change.”
Watch: ‘Stop style shaming people’: Kangana Ranaut
Kangana, citing her own experience, also reiterated that you cannot expect another person to be responsible for your safety. “I was pinched on my butt in the middle of a group and that person was right there, looking at me. It was not even sexual, it was like ‘I did exactly what I was not supposed to do’. And looking me in the eye like ‘what are you going to do now?’ So, what do you expect?
“I think somewhere we should tell the girls that there are a few rules. Don’t say ‘maybe,’ when you want to say ‘no’, it’s important. Your safety doesn’t mean you can do taekwondo and karate. It also means you go to someone who can save you; it may be a teacher, an uncle you trust, a friend, or the Mumbai Police, or go to the media, find a journalist and expose them,” she added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.